Vmax or Venture? Difference

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ectraz

Reaction score
So whats the difference betwean the venture engine and the Vmax engine?
as far as i understand they are pretty much the same could someone Fill me in on them cheers :)

The cams are milder,300 or 310 lift.No vboost and smaller jets in the carbs.Lower compression pistons.

Depending on the year:

83-85: is closer to the Vmax in specs
Same Bore (1200cc)
Lower Compression
Heads not as free flowing
Smaller Cams
Weaker designed trans (85 max had same trans which failed quickly) and diff ratios
No cooling line for stator from oil pump
No Vboost
Smaller Carb Bodies
Better Clutch??? It actually has a coil spring setup like Barnett offeres and you can use Barnett springs to make it hold the same (not as strong as the double d mod)

86 and up ventures are pretty much the same as older ventures except for the bore which makes them 1300cc's
Trans was upgraded though ratios are different then Vmax

We are completing a conversion today and should have the bike with us on the dyno day tomorrow. We are using a venture 1300 block with hand ported Vmax heads and stock vmax cams. We will also be using the v-boost and even stock exhaust. We aren't trying to set any records but are hoping for mid 120's to low 130's with STOCK exhaust.

Sean Morley

Depending on the year:

83-85: is closer to the Vmax in specs
Same Bore (1200cc)
Lower Compression
Heads not as free flowing
Smaller Cams
Weaker designed trans (85 max had same trans which failed quickly) and diff ratios
No cooling line for stator from oil pump
No Vboost
Smaller Carb Bodies
Better Clutch??? It actually has a coil spring setup like Barnett offeres and you can use Barnett springs to make it hold the same (not as strong as the double d mod)

86 and up ventures are pretty much the same as older ventures except for the bore which makes them 1300cc's
Trans was upgraded though ratios are different then Vmax

We are completing a conversion today and should have the bike with us on the dyno day tomorrow. We are using a venture 1300 block with hand ported Vmax heads and stock vmax cams. We will also be using the v-boost and even stock exhaust. We aren't trying to set any records but are hoping for mid 120's to low 130's with STOCK exhaust.

Sean Morley

Sean,I am surprized that you didn't throw a set of your big cams in it.

really wanted to just stick stock heads on it but we'll see how it does. Tested on the road before loading in the trailer to head to dyno. That thing flat gets with it now!

what is the difference in the ports venture vs vmax can you give some numbers
port opening vmax 1.200 x 1.600 carb intake side
choke point vmax 0.700 not shure
guessing the port length and width are the same and that one intake valve is offset to the port opening carb side,

I don't have those numbers but if you want a set and willing to pay shipping I can send you almost as many pairs as you want. The valves are considerably smaller as are the cams. The springs aren't going to work as well.

Sean

The vmax and venture cams are a HUGE difference between each other. Then we can have cams hard welded (we typically use Megacycle) and made even larger then that.

no it's ok was just looking to see the difference between the vmax an venture intake ports, guessing that the venture has no choke point to talk about so the velocity must be pretty slow in the intake ports

All information I've found claim's the Vmax and Venture both share a 10:5.1 Compression Ratio, but the Max has Lighter Piston's and more aggressive Cam's. Max also has Larger Carb's and less restrictive Exhaust. My 84 Venture has the YICS Induction system which apparently Promotes Swirl for better Emissions, while the Max has VBoost which Unites all 4 Carbs at High RPM and allows the Piston's to scavenge off each other. I've also seen an Aftermarket Intake that allows you to Run a Volkswagen Carb, but I'm not sure if there's any benefit from that set up or not.

an Aftermarket Intake that allows you to Run a Volkswagen Carb
My friend's shop has a Gold Wing single carburetor set up he removed from a customer's ride, to replace it w/a stock system. If someone wanted it for a GW build, I'm pretty-sure he still has it.

34mm for 83-85 Venture 1200's (there is a difference even between those years for operation of the vacuum signals)
35mm for 86-93 Venture 1300's and 85-07 Vmax 1200's

Venture cams (all years) are much smaller then Vmax
Venture valves are also smaller then Vmax
Venture head ports are smaller
Vmax rods and pistons are lighter (more RPM)
Vmax/Venture compression is the same for most years. The 1200's were less compression. Vmax used dome to achieve the comp ratio while Venture was flat top compressed into the same head chamber volume.
Vmax has different shift shaft, pcv chamber, oil level sending unit (opposite polarity function), neutral switch is different (though venture can be used and can work with custom gear display).
Venture early years do not have casting to support Vmax shift shaft. In other years a bushing is needed to be moved over from the Venture stator cover to the middle gear cover to support the shift shaft.
Venture transmissions are different (they continued the same basic design that was recalled for the Vmax)
Early Venture clutch inner basket and pressure plate are different. Can be swapped into Vmax to allow for a coil spring conversion (much like the Barnett) ***I have a few of these available)
Early Venture clutch covers are not deep enough to fit Vmax
Probably some other stuff i'm forgetting lol.

Sean
How did the cams work out in your max. Did u notice a big difference? How was idle smooth or lopie? Is it worth it for stock max hop up? On your stock ver2 flash does the servo for the exhaust still work, or did you turn it off? It says that you can still get codes if it has problem. Bob

Sean
How did the cams work out in your max. Did u notice a big difference? How was idle smooth or lopie? Is it worth it for stock max hop up? On your stock ver2 flash does the servo for the exhaust still work, or did you turn it off? It says that you can still get codes if it has problem. Bob
Which cams are you referring to? I have stock cams in the battlestar bike. From what i have seen the aftermarket cam grinds that have been tested have made pretty much zero gains. There is a guy on the forum here doing a complete documented gen 2 engine build that looks promising with a lot of cad design and flow testing.

a while back you had said that you had finished putting different cams in your bike and showed a video of your first start on your dyno i dont know what cams cause you didnt give spects but remember seeing the vide of you starting bike on your dyno prob about a year ago

On your stock ver2 flash does the servo for the exhaust still work, or did you turn it off? It says that you can still get codes if it has problem. Bob

Back