Measuring pickupcoils at Vmax 87' ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nielsen

Reaction score
Hi
Can someone explain this:
In the VMax service manual its explained how to measure the function of the pickup-coils. Its told you have to measure 110 ohm +-15% between Orange-Black, Orange-Gray, Orange-White/Green and Orange-White/Red.
If you look at the electrical diagram, I dont understand these "testpoints" as I can see 1 coil between Orange-Black, BUT it shows 2 coils between Orange-Grey, 2 coils between Orange-White/Green and 2 coils between Orange-White/Red...If there are 2 coils between these measuring points, it has to be 220 ohm at these points ???? (My 1 and 2 cylinder wont ignite correctly, sometimes a weak spark, sometimes no spark, and I will measure these coils before a repair of the igniter unit.):ummm:

Attachments

• Fault_diagnostics_pickupcoils.jpg
    Fault_diagnostics_pickupcoils.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 36
As noted above the black is the common connector.

It is a 6 pin connector 2x3 pin arrangement. The common (black) is the one in pocket with empty one above it. Lower right contact in picture.

Sometimes these wires are hard to determine wire colors on.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC03186.jpg
    DSC03186.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 59
I have now measured with the black wire as common. Nothing wrong with the 4 pickupcoils as I measured 110 ohm +- 10%.
With the engine running, I did a test with my oscilloscope to look at the pulses at the primary coil (12V) at the ignitioncoil no. 1 compared with the pulses at no. 3 cylinder. The pulses look almost the same. The TCI then works. (Damned...I have already ordered a Dyno 3000 in Sweden)
Now I think its a fuel/water problem in the 1 and 2 carburettor as I can see small pearls of water in the inlet.
Can water stop the fuel totally in a carburettor ? And why only water in the fuel to cylinder 1 and 2 ? :ummm:

Attachments

• Cyl1_Cyl3.jpg
    Cyl1_Cyl3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0374.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 39
I bet some guys on this forum would be interested to know where you found a Dyna 3000 for your bike. They quit making it for 1985-1990 model vmax. The only ones I've seen are for 91-07

Its just been confirmed that D3K7-7 is discontiued....as all already knew.
I now have bought 2 ignition-units from Ignitech.
I will test/try these units in the near future.
(The temperature in Denmark are now below 10?C (50?F) = Garage-season)

Back