Survey Says!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
OK, I thought it would be interesting to compare our setups to see trends in what is working vs. what isn't. Possibly just quote this post and fill in next to the categories?

Engine:
Trans or Diff changes:
Exhaust:
Carbs:
Location & Elevation:
MPG:
Riding style:
Thoughts on this setup:

engine:stock 06
trans or diff changes: none
exhaust:marks 4-2, 12" cans 2.5" outlet
carbs:06 vmx, morely kit, 162.5 main, stock needles w/2 shims, dj springs, undrilled slides
location & elevation:eastern pa, 1200'
mpg:30ish
riding style: minimal hwy, windy pa backroads, lots of short bursts of speed then slow down quick for the next turn
thoughts on this setup:bike runs great, was popping lean with 160 mains and 2 shims. Fine with 162.5 and 2 shims. Thinking i may remove a shim and try that. Mpg is horrible. Plugs don't look too rich though?
A/F Screws: 2 3/4 turns

Last edited:
OK, I thought it would be interesting to compare our setups to see trends in what is working vs. what isn't. Possibly just quote this post and fill in next to the categories?

Engine:1985 stock
Trans or Diff changes:none
Exhaust:Stock
Carbs:Stock
Location & Elevation:Neosho, MO 1,037'
MPG:20 - 41
Riding style:Upright, mostly with both wheels firmly on the ground. Lots of WOT acceleration.
Thoughts on this setup:Perfect. Just the way Mother Yamaha intended it to be. :rofl_200:

Engine: Stock 2006
Trans or Diff changes: Stock
Exhaust: Marks 4-2
Carbs: Stock with Sean Morley kit
Location & Elevation: Bettendorf IA 300ft
MPG: 38-42
Riding style: Spirited
Thoughts on this setup: Dead reliable and more fun than stock!

I was hoping to get a bit more technical with the carb description for those that have a modified setup. main size, needle type and clip position or shims, sping setup (stk, dj, or tie/cut coils) drilled or undrilled slides, etc.

Engine:1989 stock except heavy duty clutch (PCW/DD)
Trans or Diff changes:
none
Exhaust:Mark's 4-2 with 14 inch cans, 2.25 turn tips
Carbs:Morley's kit
PAJ2: 175's
MAIN: stock
Needles: Stg 7, 2 1/4 clips
Location & Elevation:Omaha, NE (800 ft)
MPG:36-44
Riding style:
No wheelies but lots of spinning tires off take off. Pretty easy going on highway..
Thoughts on this setup:
Love it.

Engine: 95 stock
Trans or Diff changes: stock but 3"extended 1" drive shaft.
Exhaust: older 4-1 Holeshot 18" can.
Carbs: stock with 7stg jet kit and K&N filters,no v-boost,..not a clue on any tech inside carbs cause i didn't do the mod. PO owned a recreational dealership.
Location & Elevation: Brandon Mb, 500ft giver take.
MPG: 30 on any given day, better on others when i can keep from hard twisting (but that don't happin very often).
Riding style: feet up on the motor guard bars mostly open highway with a few trips around town before comin home.
Thoughts on this setup: spot on,..altho I wouldn't mind trying the morley set up with v-boost in place.

Engine: 1985 Stock
Trans or Diff changes: None
Exhaust: Stock
Carbs: Stock with main jetting at 147.5
Location & Elevation: Southwest USA - 4500-10500ft, majority at 5700ft.
MPG: 28-35?
Riding style: Spirited when appropriate, conservative when appropriate
Thoughts on this setup: Can burn the ME-880 without traction or bring the front end up in 1st with traction. Like the setup but would like to get dialed in a tad better for the elevation...

Engine: '07 w/80 shot of N2O

Trans or Diff changes: dd clutch mod

Exhaust: Kerker 4-2-1 w/14" carbon fiber can with 2" comp baffle and turned down outlet

Carbs: T-boost, Stock, 150 mains, needles shimmed once

Location & Elevation: Fairbanks, Alaska 440ft

MPG: 30-40's

Riding style: Spirited

Thoughts on this setup: I love it. Plenty of spinning power and excellent straight line exceleration. With the V-boost shut off great fuel economy for cruising the highway. Going to go with Morley kit this winter.

Engine: 06 stock
Trans or Diff changes: none
Exhaust: HMF 4-2
Carbs: stock with stage 7 - DJ165 mains, needle on 3rd clip, individual K&Ns
Location & Elevation: Northern Ontario - 800ft
MPG: 40-43mpg
Riding style: both city & highway - spirited
Thoughts on this setup: excellent - plugs look great and she rips!!!

Engine: 06 stock
Trans or Diff changes: none
Exhaust: Mark's 4 into 1 14 inch pipe 2 1/4 outlet
Carbs: stock 150 mains 1 washer on needle
Location & Elevation: close to sea level
MPG: 35-39
Riding style: both city & highway - spirited
Thoughts on this setup: works very good. Have vacuum ports together still experimenting

Back