Equalizing Vacuum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder13

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to hook all manifold vacumn ports together. Heard it has better throttle responce and very clean idle.

Re: equalizing vacumn

Interesting idea. What about the #2 vacuum hose? Use a T fitting?

Use a t fitting on 3 & 4 feed over to 1 &2 and t off the hose. All intake equalize.

would it register too much vacuum?

Heard it on FZ1 site a while back. Why would it be to muck vacumn. If the carbs are synced they are all pulling the same amount of vacumn

Heard it on FZ1 site a while back. Why would it be to muck vacumn. If the carbs are synced they are all pulling the same amount of vacumn

I can't see why you want to do this.

Each cylinder has it's own carb and runs it's own manifold and therefore has highly individual intake vacuum characteristics.

Adjusting each carbs butterfly valve allows them to be optimally balanced (equalized) relative to each other.

If all four vacuum gradients were averaged through a common vacuum line you could have a situation where the carb butterfly's were (mechanically) way out of sinc and you are losing power.

If it was desirable to have all four manifolds averaging their vacuum characteristics wouldn't manufacturers build the manifolds that way?

the carbs would be synced without the hoses obviously so they could not be wayout of sync. the idea is just to even out the vacuum pulses and possibly create some turbulence near the valves. it may be ineffective but i can't see it hurting. as for the vacuum advance the vac shouold be the same just smoother source for the unit.

the carbs would be synced without the hoses obviously so they could not be wayout of sync.

Obviously, but the V-max carbs are touchy and they don't stay that way for long. One good WOT run is enough to throw the sync out.

Are you planning to test it?

If you do plan to use T-pieces to do the cross connections make sure you have restrictors in them because the pressure waves through an open T-piece are going to be violent.

Has anybody tried to hook all manifold vacumn ports together. Heard it has better throttle responce and very clean idle.

Back when I had my Yamaha XS1100, I replaced the OEM carbs with carbs from a 2003 ZRX1200. Instead of capping off the vacuum ports, I tied ports 1&4 together and 2&3 together with a T to the advancer, if I recall correctly. I was sort of experimenting but at the time it seemed to run noticeably smoother.

Right it smoothes out the idle and the throttle responce seems quicker

Gleno wrote:
if Obviously, but the V-max carbs are touchy and they don't stay that way for long. One good WOT run is enough to throw the sync out.

Are you planning to test it?

If you do plan to use T-pieces to do the cross connections make sure you have restrictors in them because the pressure waves through an open T-piece are going to be violent.
wot messed up the sync it would not matter if the bike has this mod or not, the carbs would be in sync or not:ummm: either way. the flow thru the hoses at anything above idle is very small ,but it is going to slightly even out the vac pulses at idle to very slight throttle and possibly create some turbulence thru the low to mid range. vac is not cummulative the total highest vac is going to be the same to the advance module. vac pulses by nature are violent i am not sure how you think this will effect anythign negatively? have you synced your carbs? these are small hoses not much flow just vac pulses.

this is similiar to the yics syt yamaha used on secas and maxims in the early 80s

Last edited:

I was wondering if this diagram is what you guys are talking about doing ?
Dave

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 178

On a more serious note,
Have any of you guys tried this on your bikes ?:ummm:
I`m going to try it on mine , just hope that nothing else goes wrong with it,
it runs great now and I want to keep it that way if I can.
<<Dave>>:punk::rocket bike:

Back