1989 vmax 37k miles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking of selling my vmax, I love the bike but I think I just want a newer vmax so I can spend more time riding rather than fixing small things, Ive already done a ton of work on it such as
-bled and flushed brakes and clutch -new throttle cable -rebuilt forks -new battery -new R/R -new spark plugs - oil and filter change -custom seat -like new tires -valve cover gasket -valve clearances checked and put in spec - new ignition coil -throttle tube - new starter
It also has forward controls
I was wondering how much I could expect to sell this bike for? I am in the Massachusetts area.

Attachments

• IMG_6995.jpg
    IMG_6995.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Summer is bike weather, so your value is > than trying to sell in Dec-Feb. 2nd gear is intact, it does-not jump out if you hammer it? Any crash damage visible? How old are the tires, & what brand? Any extras on the bike? From your pic, I see a well-used bike w/no obvious expensive fixes needed.

1689264573984.png

Low side to high side, I'd say $2500-3500. You might make a bit more by removing the accessories and selling them separately: the forward controls, and the flyscreen. Take a look on social media and CL around your geographic area and see what comparables are. It depends on how anxious you are to sell, if you are ready, price it somewhere in the middle, say $3000 and see what types of offers come in.

You could try giving it a thorough cleaning, and touch-up of the engine color in any places where the paint is flaking off or worn-through, like the side engine case covers, where your boots rub the engine. One thing which helps our bike's looks, is a clean & shiny set of headers, and the megaphones. I see some discoloration on the heat shields on the right side. Is that a set of Supertrapp megaphones? That is a good accessory, the stainless steel can usually be cleaned up well. I've used a bicarbonate of soda pressurized blaster to clean up pitted chrome or no-finish surfaces. It gets into the small pits and cleans them, but then you need to immediately polish them with a good wax, to stop the rust from coming back quickly. It removes oxidation also. If your bike presents as a used, but clean example, and it has no starting or running issues, as a totally stock bike, To me, I'd say $3000 would be a fair price both ways. If you still have the OEM exhaust megaphones, and you replace the Supertrapps (if that's what they are), restore the forward controls to stock, and remove the flyscreen, those items altogether may get you another $500+ but sold separately. Sadly, many people wanting a bike won't see the value-added in those items compared to selling them separately.

Last edited:
Summer is bike weather, so your value is > than trying to sell in Dec-Feb. @nd gear is intact, it does-not jump out if you hammer it? Any crash damage visible? How old are the tires, & what brand? Any extras on the bike? From your pic, I see a well-used bike w/no obvious expensive fixes needed.

View attachment 90064

Low side to high side, I'd say $2500-3500. You might make a bit more by removing the accessories and selling them separately: the forward controls, and the flyscreen. Take a look on social media and CL around your geographic area and see what comparables are. It depends on how anxious you are to sell, if you are ready, price it somewhere in the middle, say $3000 and see what types of offers come in.

You could try giving it a thorough cleaning, and touch-up of the engine color in any places where the paint is flaking off or worn-through, like the side engine case covers, where your boots rub the engine. One thing which helps our bike's looks, is a clean & shiny set of headers, and the megaphones. I see some discoloration on the heat shields on the right side. Is that a set of Supertrapp megaphones? That is a good accessory, the stainless steel can usually be cleaned up well. I've used a bicarbonate of soda pressurized blaster to clean up pitted chrome or no-finish surfaces. It gets into the small pits and cleans them, but then you need to immediately polish them with a good wax, to stop the rust from coming back quickly.
Hi, Yes 2nd gear is perfect and has no issues, no crash damage, it truly doesnt have any big issues, just a bunch of smaller ones that ive mostly fixed, the bike runs and i still daily it, I just want something cleaner/newer that I can more consistently ride rather than wait for a 20$ part. They are supertrapps, Ill try to clean them up, I Think I'll list it for 3k including here and see what happens, Thank you.

The forward controls are often sought on here as a separate item. I suspect they could get $300+ by themselves, if you have the OEM pieces to replace them. Let's see what is available.

Exactrep $627 plus shipping, call it $$700, so asking $500 for yours separately is not a reach. Call it $500 shipped 48 states and I bet you sell 'em quickly.

http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/Forward-Controls-131T.html
1689266825374.png

Yours appear to be much nicer and stronger than the generic ones you see on ebay. Any brand markings on them, or stickers?

Leaving all the accessories in-place and asking $3000 here, I bet you can sell it easily.

Back