2-3k stumble at wot. Need help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have tried every possible combination I can think of, and it's all a no go. I even went 18.5 on the floats, and it helped, but was starving it on the top end. I checked the valve clearances, and I have 1 intake valve that's .001 too tight. I can't fathom how that would cause any of this. I pulled the air correctors, and put 177.5's in as mains just to see what would happen, and it seems a lot better, but I need bigger mains, so that may change.I've ordered some 185 and 190 mains to try to tune it without the air correctors just to see what happens. Beyond that, I have no clue what to do other than try a different set of carbs, which will have to wait a while 'til funds allow.

Well, I borrowed a set of carbs from Sean, and I'm still getting the same problem. I'm going back to stock needles, and figuring out where to shim them at, and washing my hands of this whole fiasco. I may get some 200 or 205 mains eventually, and try again on tuning with no air correctors, but for now, I've had enough!

You have individual filters, thats why you had air correctors?
Was there a stg 7 setup onyour bike before you got it?

Was seans carb all set up stock?

Mine was stock, then I put a muscle kit on. No individual filters, but one massive k&n. Sean's carbs had no jets, so I had to swap mine in. I was hoping maybe coasting enrichers were sticking somehow, or something else crazy, but now I know it wasn't my imagination. I got the best results by far with stock needles, so that's the route I'm going. I just hope I can get them shimmed right somehow. I would have already went that route, but I never could get the transition to main jet right. That'll be my next challenge. I've bought a good selection of washers, and I'll eventually get it right. If not, I don't give up. It WILL be right before I give up.

It sat up for a couple years (long story) now I've cleaned the carbs again and will be starting up again here shortly. Tomorrow SHOULD be the first test run since re cleaning the carbs. I'm expecting difficult roads ahead, but hoping for the best.

Well, a fuel tank cleaning/resealing, fuel filter, 4 enrichment diaphragms, a set of 35 idle jets, 2 needle seats, 4 carb kits, a ninja rectifier regulator, some serious carb cleaning, and a bit of float adjusting, and it's back on the road. Seems to be running cleaner than ever.

Back