2006 r6

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eVMAX

Reaction score
I was at my local stealership yesterday and they just took a 2006 R6 on trade. It's a great looking clean machine with 9033 miles. Full akrapovic exhaust and new tires. I ask the price and out comes $3695 from the sales guys mouth. In shock I asked again knowing these bike generally bring low $4s to high $3s privately. Owned three mid 2000 r1's but never a 6. I am doing some research before I pick up the bike and find there are known issues with the 06-07 motors. Any of my fellow forum members have insight on this model year? Should I go for it? Thank you in advanced!

Im not savvy on the model but does he have a complete service history? Most stealerships have doc fees and other fees they slap on quickly making the out the door price quite a bit higher than the orange tag dangling off the bars. Maybe it has an upcoming service that can be negotiated into the price. Once a rider puts expensive accessories on a bike the value of the bike never goes up by that amount, if at all but dealers love to play like it does. If you can get the OEM exhaust with the bike then when its sell time you might be ahead to replace it and sell the aftermarket exh seperately so maybe figure in lack of OE exh if its not included. I often see 600/class sport bikes at quite a bargain from private sellers, compare actual book and CL prices in your area.

I hope there is something in this rambling that helps. Good luck and post pics.

Feb 14, 2006:

"Yamaha Motor Corp. U.S.A. has offered to buy back YZF-R6 models purchased by customers who are unhappy that the motorcycle does not actually reach the advertised redline of 17,500 rpm. Dyno runs have shown that the bike actually turns about 16,000 rpm despite an optimistic tach reading. Peak power is produced below 16,000 rpm.

According to Yamaha Corporate Communications Manager Bob Starr, marketing and advertising plans for the new machine were formulated in the middle of last year based on technical specs sent to Yamaha Motor Corp. by factory product planners, before any 2006 YZF-R6 models had reached the U.S. The 17,500 rpm redline was featured in advertising and marketing materials, and riders at the worldwide press launch reported that the tach did reach an indicated 17,500 rpm.

But once bikes reached dealers and were run on the dyno, it became obvious that the engine actually hit the rev limiter at around 16,000 rpm, and would not rev to 17,500 rpm as advertised, despite what the tach read.

"We had no idea when we prepared the advertising and marketing materials that the bike would not rev to 17,500 rpm," said Starr in a conference call with RoadracingWorld.com this morning. "We used that in the materials because no other middleweight (street) motorcycle had ever revved that high and when people saw the tach, they said 'Wow!'

"As more of this came out, we let the factory know, we let our attorneys know," continued Starr, "and the attorneys said that this is an advertising and marketing issue, and we need to do something. So we sent a letter out to customers who had purchased R6s telling them that there is a tach error of about 9%. We're hopeful that they're satisfied with the bike, but if they're not, we'll buy it back. This applies to customers who took early delivery. When anybody buys an R6 from this point on, the dealer will explain that the tach is optimistic and that the bike will only rev to 16,000 rpm."

Yamaha Motorcycle Marketing Manager Mark Dipko, who also participated in the conference call, said "We had one dealer who called and said, 'If anybody gives them up, I'll buy them all.'"

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/yamaha-offers-to-buy-back-yzf-r6-streetbikes-over-redline-claims/

Still 16K redline is nothing to sneeze at!
You can always resell it for the average asking price you mentioned...

After a few R1's I just can't see going to a R6. I went from gsxr 750's to 1100's and could not go back to 750's.

Back