2nd oil drain bolt on 1200/1300 blocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
While cleaning block up today for my winter project bike, I took some pictures of the 2nd drain plug on the 1200/1300 blocks.

On the left side, directly under the middle drive cover there is a 14mm head bolt that goes into block and drains an oil pocket. This pocket appears to serve as a lubrication pool for the middle drive gear. Not very big, maybe about the size of a milk container that I remember from school, half pint I think. This pocket is isolated from draining, so a normal oil change will not drain this oil.

Curiously, there is another pocket that is isolated that lays outside of the pocket that has the drain screw It is an 'L' shaped pocket that is below & to the right in the 1st picture. No drain provision for this area though. It would be nice to know what the design intent was for the 2nd outer pocket, and why it is not can't be drained.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC00688.JPG
    DSC00688.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00683.JPG
    DSC00683.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00687.JPG
    DSC00687.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00686.JPG
    DSC00686.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 52
Interesting - this could be the source of a leak that I originally put down to the selector seal.

I assume you are referring to the bolt between the slave cylinder and selector shaft?

Yeah i think hes referring to the one lined up with the middle gear bearing center (underneath the drain taper that lies below the transmission output shaft)

You can pull that bolt to get the oil you noted and then pull the bolt out of the bottom of the mid gear cover (the one with the copper gasket) if you want to get the other area drained.

Back