85-93 transmission compatibility

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarchin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, finally got myself a Vmax after wanting one forever. :eusa_dance: I bought myself an 85 because it was the first year, and this one is really clean, and I got it for a good price.

When buying it I knew that 2nd gear was dropping back into neutral, and figured I could fix it later, perhaps in the fall. The bike is very driveable, and 2nd gear does work ok, but only for a short time, sometimes I just skip 2nd and go to third.

I have an opportunity to buy the entire transmission drive unit from a 93, that looks to be in really good shape, so I'm wondering if a drive unit from the 93 will fit into the 85? I know the forks changed from 92-93, but don't know anything about the engine/transmission.

Also, I've read all kinds of stories about how fast this bike is, but it doesn't seem that fast to me, well, it is fast, just not crazy fast if that makes sense? The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, and I haven't really gotten on it. I'm going to have it dyno'd but I was wondering if anyone knew the typical speeds for first gear?

Sorry for the long post, and I'm really excited about getting to ride this all summer long.

You can swap the entire trans if desired. I would swap the currently middle gear (worm gear) over to whatever you end up with so all the shims are the same.

We do offer an undercutting service which is far better then a stock transmission too. As well as an overdrive option.

Sean

yes, I read about your undercutting and overdrive service and I would like to do that, especially the overdrive. Unfortunately, I have to save up some money to do this. I was thinking of maybe swapping the 93 into the engine, and in the fall sending the 85 gears to you to be done, if they can be done that is. Thank you for your reply

I'd just ride it and skip past the bad gear or not run it hard in that gear. It's hard to do when 2nd gear is the most fun of them all!

Sean

Also, I've read all kinds of stories about how fast this bike is, but it doesn't seem that fast to me, well, it is fast, just not crazy fast if that makes sense?
Yes it makes sense...welcome to being a proud owner of the
myth & the legend of the V Max.
Just remember its not a sport bike...its a sport cruiser...so pick your competition accordingly:ummm: and when they come up to you and oggle and ask is it fast...just nod your head yes.
BTW...it'll be a lot faster with 2nd gear:clapping:

The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, and I haven't really gotten on it. I'm going to have it dyno'd but I was wondering if anyone knew the typical speeds for first gear?

Calculated at 9500 rpm redline:
1st gear55 mph2nd gear79 mph3rd gear103 mph4th gear129 mph5th gear150 mph
Engine speed at 60 mph = 3800 rpm

put new plugs in the bike a couple of weeks ago, and what a difference! I actually felt the v-boost start to open. Too bad I was in first gear though! Gotta get the second gear fixed too.

Back