• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

85 thinking about selling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene Brad

Reaction score
Thinking I might sell the 85. My lady is strongly suggesting I don't need two vmax's. Part of me says "what does she know?" And part says "she's probably right"
so I'll take offers on the 85.
It does have a second gear issue. Slips out around 6500 rpm. Feels like a brief loss of traction then comes back. I'm obviously trying to minimize the issue and we all know the extent of the problem and what it takes to fix... with that being said a quick short shift through second and it is still a very fun, ridable machine.
It is stock, has a lower cut seat.
I just cut out the plug from the stator to the r/r because it was having charging issues, seems to have fixed that problem.(thanks Bill Seward) I was going to replace the r/r but decided to just get it running with as little added investment possible.
I think the carbs need sinked. It runs strong but has a tempermental idle. Usually have to give it a tiny bit if choke once it gets up to temp. Probably simple adjustments that I am unqualified to perform,lol.
Never laid over 61k miles. I'm posting it on the forum first with hopes that someone can keep her as a complete bike and fix the low end and enjoy the beast that she is.
If you want to make an offer feel free all I can do is say no.
Also keep in mind I got bent over pretty hard on buying it without the knowledge of the slipping second gear. I think fire medic said it best "if you dont know the seller know the bike" great advise that i will live by from here out. So I'm hopefull I can squeeze any value out of it I can. So parting it out is also an option (wouldn't prefer).
Anyone have ideas what I could get by parting out vs selling out right?
As always I appriciate you alls input.
38094630a8ddeb389a59454ddd643c45.jpg
79c845e32a68aad41c55f7f21e6ca4a4.jpg
4afa430abb6c63fb5e42675c945cafe7.jpg
e1fdae23b1aacad231c4be38e4fdc0eb.jpg
c84b092c8410bea6ae6c7f5f4d57bdba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Too-bad you don't have the initiative to be able to do the gearbox. The most-valuable part of any bike is obviously the engine.
If you want to move things, go to the low-side, or less. Check ebay for the 'sold' prices. In the end, remember it's worth what someone is willing to give you. If you don't have to wrap and ship, that's worth something.

Unfortunately, a transmission needing repair cuts the value of an otherwise sound engine by quite a bit. And a bad rod or thrust surface may mean scrap value only. You could probably use the stator and rotor off a bad crankshaft/cases engine.

And, remember that one of the reasons we're all members here is so that we don't pay ebay prices, because we help each other to maintain our bikes in operable condition. Parts or mechanical advice, you can find both here.

Too-bad you don't have the initiative to be able to do the gearbox. The most-valuable part of any bike is obviously the engine.
If you want to move things, go to the low-side, or less. Check ebay for the 'sold' prices. In the end, remember it's worth what someone is willing to give you. If you don't have to wrap and ship, that's worth something.

Unfortunately, a transmission needing repair cuts the value of an otherwise sound engine by quite a bit. And a bad rod or thrust surface may mean scrap value only. You could probably use the stator and rotor off a bad crankshaft/cases engine.

And, remember that one of the reasons we're all members here is so that we don't pay ebay prices, because we help each other to maintain our bikes in operable condition. Parts or mechanical advice, you can find both here.
I hear ya... just wanted to see if anyone was interested. I'll put it on craigslist before too long and see what happens.
As far as fixing it myself I don't have the space or time, it's my busy season being a general contractor, and the last three years the winters havnt slowed down either.
I've came real close to just start pulling it apart and follow Sean's list and steps to do it but obviously havn't. I'm pretty intimidated by the inner workings of these motors and can't help but think I would mess something up.

That's a fine looking, and unmolested 85. I hope it can get fixed and be ridden again. It's a keeper.
My answer to why we need two or more bikes, is a question. How many shoes and pocket books do you have?

That's a fine looking, and unmolested 85. I hope it can get fixed and be ridden again. It's a keeper.
My answer to why we need two or more bikes, is a question. How many shoes and pocket books do you have?
I ride it at least once a week, if only down the road to keep the dust from collecting. Short shift through second and it's like nothing is wrong. Of course I forget to do that once in a while and it skips out and I am reminded of the issue.

For many women that would be a valid argument but my girl is a bit different. Doesn't care for the fancy clothes and shoes, she doesn't spend a bunch on shopping. She is one track in taking care of our son, Van, taking care of our house, and taking care of me. She is very selfless which is a big reason why I respect her suggestions. That being said, I did just buy her a $1000 vacuum, (the thing sucks) so that should count for something, lol.

Well, invest cheap $ in Damon's cd of a VMax tear down and reassembly, and do it on the cheap. You don't have to put in an undercut gearbox, just replace what's bad/worn, to get it running reliably and then you instantly went from a (maybe) $1200 'jumps out of 2nd' running but flawed bike to a $2500+ first-year survivor. I think that with a running '85, no issues, you could do some cosmetics, and get more-than double the 'runs but 2nd gear is bad' price.

Back