85 VMAX trouble, please help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh_06_R1

Reaction score
the bike has had some trouble, its a good friends of mines bike, he replaced the stator, had a charging problem. the stock ecu went out and he replaced it with a dyna 3000 part number D3K7-7. had the bike running good 6 months ago. didn't ride it for a few months, the battery has had a low charge but its able to turn over and start, and it seems to run and rev fine when it is in neutral. but as soon as you put the bike into gear the engine starts to stall and the bike dies. its not pulling, the clucth is fully disingaged, doesnt push or anything causing it to die, it just lags and dies.... i dont know to much about the vmax, well i know some but i dont know why it runs so perfect when it is out of gear, but just dies when its put into first. please help, any ideas? gear select sensor or something, we've drained the gas and replaced it. hes had all the carbs apart and compleatly cleaned, and it ran afterwards fine. could it just be the stator trying to charge when in gear? does it charge in neutral? probably i guess but i cant think of anything else.

Sounds like a side stand issue. As long as the kick stand is down while in gear, it won't run. If the stand is up, then there is a problem with the electric safety switch in front of the stand.

Hi Josh, :welcome_sign: to the forum. First the charging system on the VMax is kind or poor, so the battery won't charge at idle. It will produce charging voltage at around 2k. For the motor problem, does the motor die out immediately when you put it in gear? If yes, then I agree with Mike and check the kick stand switch. Or does the bike have a hard time running when in gear and eventually die out? I wasn't too sure by your description. If it just has a hard time running and slowly dies out in gear, then I suspect a carb issue. Has it been rejetted?

I'd go through the carbs, if they sit much more than a month bad things happen. I'd be suspect to the Dyna too, not too reliable compared to stock Ignitor.

Also, check rubber boots, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and plug wires. I'd also drain the oil and replace the oil filter.

okay it would just lose rpms and not rev, but it would still run a little, evintually dieing when put into gear, i was out playing with it and found the kick stand switch wasn't disingaging all the way :30: and it was loosing spark through it. but not completly so i was overlooking it for now, but that was the problem, and to come back on and see you guys have already responded with the same response, thanks. but now some major carb issues... oh and i hate carbs.. :29: ... bike doesnt like running. im not so great with carbs, well im not bad, but my experiance with carbs is limited to 2 stroke dirtbikes, weedeaters and chainsaws. never had to deal with 4 carbs on a v4 before.... gotta love fuel injection.... anyone wanna talk me through the main steps of setting up this carb, or direct me to a different thread on this forum, thanks.

okay now i want to fix it like this
Magnasport02.jpg

4 barrel carb atop a twin sqrew supercharger
Magnasport01.jpg

link here for supercharger!!!

Many auto parts stores carry a product called seafoam. I would get some of that and add it to the gas. Fire the bike up and let it idle for a good while. You'll know it's working when the bike starts to smoke a fair bit and a rev of the throttle starts a fogger system out the tailpipes.

BTW, you did put fresh gas in the bike right? If not, umm, get on that. Gas that sits for a while turns into varnish and the bike might idle fine one it, but it certainly won't like it under load. Old gas also will clog up the carbs pretty well and make the floats sticky. if it's not too bad, the seafoam should do the trick.

However, I also agree with the others, find a stock ignitor, switch it out and look for any impovement.

yeah, first thing we did was drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in there, the budget right now is very small so hopefully the dyna3000 will work okay........:shot: i'll find some of that sea foam and see if that helps, but im more than sure the carbs need to be set and sinked.

Back