92 Max will not fire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crank but no fire. Most likely cause is a bad pickup coil. Find this connector under the seat, unplug it and check the resistance (going down to the left)

Attachments

• Picjk-Up-Coil-Connector-Tested-103-Ohms-Cropped-Labeled.jpg
    Picjk-Up-Coil-Connector-Tested-103-Ohms-Cropped-Labeled.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8
It's a white plug with two wires. One Orange and One Black.
You won't have much oil up behind the small inspection plug and not much behind the larger insert (even a little can seem like a lot though).

Could there be a seal that would drowned out in and pick up would have shorted?? It seems like if I turn over oil pumps into,onto bolt of flywheel.but I've got zero resist on two wires.. battery is charging great I just hope that stator is ok and is only pickup!! I believe I've found one for 125.00 online new (pickup) also need to find good price for clutch kit.any recommend sites?thanks for your time.im going to like this site and definitely fell in love with my Max!!!

I have most parts like this (and your clutch) but am not going to be as cheap as you'll find online (though I also try not to sell the cheap aftermarket stuff that isn't always good). If you aren't getting any measurement on your pickup coil then it's your most likely problem.

Came out this morning it started!! Then took plug apart put on sidestand it read good then dropped !!! WTH!???I'm baffled. Would or could it be getting to much oil on it??I seem to think it's odd for it to work then stop. I had it do it then it was fine for a week now it pretty much is sitting..I'm so bummed..

Came out this morning it started!! Then took plug apart put on sidestand it read good then dropped !!! WTH!???I'm baffled. Would or could it be getting to much oil on it??I seem to think it's odd for it to work then stop. I had it do it then it was fine for a week now it pretty much is sitting..I'm so bummed..
Typical behavior of a failing pickup. Heat is causing the short. Remove the pickup and check resistance while heating it with a hair dryer. May be good when cold and shorted when hot.

unplug your kill wire from the ignition box.I'll have to look at my service manual but the wire is usually a black wire with a white stripe this will make sure its not a safety switch causing this cause nothing sucks more than replacing something and still having the problem. After you unplug that wire run your bike and make sure that you have solved the problem if it does then plug it back in and start checking switches one by one hope that helps

Latest posts

Back