Quantcast

96 sitting for 4 + years.

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

desert_max

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I'm going to respectfully diverge from the crowd here. If you ride your max with any vigor at all, It'll be hard on the clutch. I've had three of them now, I have done clutches and all of them. Often sooner than I would have expected. I would upgrade the clutch. It's easy enough to do later, but I would certainly keep it on the short list.

The DD mod Makes for a fairly uncomfortable around town cruiser. The clutch pull is pretty harsh. I recently Upgraded my current clutch. OEM frictions including the full inner plate, heavy duty PCW spring. Definitely more pressure on the plates and decent compromise with regard to lever action.

Parminio

Reaction score
We're right back to those two different schools of:
  • Only replace those parts that need replacing to save money.
  • You're there. You're RIGHT THERE. Replace it all with new and forget about it.
There's no wrong answer, but for what it's worth in the the latter crowd with DM.

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

Reaction score
I don't know, I'm going to respectfully diverge from the crowd here. If you ride your max with any vigor at all, It'll be hard on the clutch. I've had three of them now, I have done clutches and all of them. Often sooner than I would have expected. I would upgrade the clutch. It's easy enough to do later, but I would certainly keep it on the short list.

The DD mod Makes for a fairly uncomfortable around town cruiser. The clutch pull is pretty harsh. I recently Upgraded my current clutch. OEM frictions including the full inner plate, heavy duty PCW spring. Definitely more pressure on the plates and decent compromise with regard to lever action.
I see your point and the point of FM and MM.

I have an opinion that is in the middle of what you, and they suggest.
Pending the OE clutch looks good on inspection, I would remove the half plate, clutch boss spring, spring seat, and retaining wire. Then replace all that with a full size disc. Clean up the steel plates, and reuse everything else. It gives more hold for minimal dollars. Get this thing running for minimal investment and then see where you are at once you get to ride it a bit.

Latest posts