ABS light On Steady while riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riderboy1961

Reaction score
I went on my first ride with this new Vmax today.
I discovered that the bike has an "ABS Light On Steady" issue and that it is Not working properly per my owners manual.

1) start the bike, the abs light is Off, at 15 mph the abs light comes on and stays on steady the rest of the ride.
2 )start the bike, abs light is On, abs light Stay On Steady for the rest of the ride.
3) start the bike, abs light is Off, put into 1st gear and abs light come On Steady, stays On Steady the rest of the ride.

I am thinking I may have a Loose Connection somewhere?

I looked the bike over and only thing I found that didn't look quite right was that Front Brake Line was not in what appears to be its Securing Bracket. (pics attached) (I doubt this would have anything to do with the abs light though)

*One other thing that Only Happened Once, and it was right after I started out on one of the few short rides I took today. Riding very slow in first gear, I went to pull the Front Brake Lever but it would Not pull in, like it was stuck open, it only happened that one time, I immediately pulled the front brake lever in again and the lever pulled in as it should and the front brake grabbed. It never happened again, just that one time.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this abs light issue, before I make an appointment with the dealership?

Attachments

• 20200122_112737_resized.jpg
    20200122_112737_resized.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200122_112808_resized.jpg
    20200122_112808_resized.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200122_112813_resized.jpg
    20200122_112813_resized.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200122_112737_resized.jpg
    20200122_112737_resized.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200122_112808_resized.jpg
    20200122_112808_resized.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200122_112813_resized.jpg
    20200122_112813_resized.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 20
Update:

After looking over the entire braking system, I think I found the Culprit.

This bike was delivered to me with a big scratch on the outside side of the right Muffler, I chose not to say anything to the delivery driver. Apparently, The Delivery Driver hit something while rolling this bike Forward, must have hit it pretty hard. A part that is connected to the rear brake pedal is broken off.
The part that is broken off is called a: "Joint". In the Yamaha OEM Parts online page under "Rear Master Cylinder". this "Joint", threads onto the bottom of the rear master cylinder. When the brake pedal was hit, it Lifted the brake pedal so hard that the part called the Joint, broke off. (pic attached)
I am hoping that none of the Internal Parts of the rear Master Cylinder are damaged. I am guessing this is the reason for my ABS Light staying on continually while riding.

I texted my salesman who sold me the bike and added pictures of the damage, he says he is going to talk to their service manager on Monday and get back to me. I have purchased numerous New quads and motorcycles from this Dealership and this is the first time I have had an issue with any of their New vehicles.

Attachments

• 20200125_194251_resized.jpg
    20200125_194251_resized.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200125_194306_resized.jpg
    20200125_194306_resized.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200125_200733_resized (2).jpg
    20200125_200733_resized (2).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 33
as you've purchased several items of big value from them they should give you a replacement without question, good luck

I spoke with the Service Manager this morning, He is scheduling their driver to pick the bike back up and said they would "make it right" and also apologised for my experience with receiving a brand new vmax with an electrical issue and physical damage.

I got a call back from the Service Manager later on Monday Afternoon 01/27. He said:

1) they found the ABS Light On Steady "problem" and fixed that. (I need to ask him what was causing that)
2) They put the bike on the rack and found the part that I had found that is Broken and he said they ordered that part.
3) He saw all the scratches on the right side of the right muffler which was part of my complaint But, he said they had found scratched on the left muffler as well So... he said they are replacing everything on the exhaust After the header pipe, including Both Mufflers (Yay!!)

Bike ought to be ready in 7-10 days

and... once again the Service Manager apologized that I had received this bike in this condition.

(He explained that this bike had been sitting in a separate building with many other bikes and that all bikes were probably parked too close together and it ended up getting hit a few times by the other bikes being moved in and out, next to it.)

I received my 2017 Vmax back from the Dealership Today. The "ABS L:ight On Steady" issue was fixed the same day they received the bike. All Repairs were fixed under: "Warranty" & "Lot Damage".

1) the front ABS light on steady problem was diagnosed as: "Incorrect front wheel sensor gap; Adjusted to Spec."
2) the Joint that was broken on the Bottom of the Rear Brake master cylinder that was connected to the Foot Brake Pedal was Replaced.
3) Both Mufflers that were all scratched up were Replaced with Brand New Mufflers.

I am happy with the repairs. This Dealership "Made it Right" - I am Looking forward to riding on the Dry Days, when they get here.

(Attaching a picture of just the parts charges at the bottom of the work order - Wow.)

Attachments

• 20200206_134034_resized.jpg
    20200206_134034_resized.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 20
I received my 2017 Vmax back from the Dealership Today. The "ABS L:ight On Steady" issue was fixed the same day they received the bike. All Repairs were fixed under: "Warranty" & "Lot Damage".

1) the front ABS light on steady problem was diagnosed as: "Incorrect front wheel sensor gap; Adjusted to Spec."
2) the Joint that was broken on the Bottom of the Rear Brake master cylinder that was connected to the Foot Brake Pedal was Replaced.
3) Both Mufflers that were all scratched up were Replaced with Brand New Mufflers.

I am happy with the repairs. This Dealership "Made it Right" - I am Looking forward to riding on the Dry Days, when they get here.

(Attaching a picture of just the parts charges at the bottom of the work order - Wow.)

Glad they took care of you. Nice to get all that behind you for the start of riding season.

Back