Algae? in coolant reservoir

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, I am flushing my coolant this weekend and when I removed the reservoir to clean it, there was what looked like algae inside. I filled with 50/50 distilled water and vinegar, let it sit and flushed it out. Didn't look any different. Any ideas on how to get this junk out? Thanks.

Attachments

• Pics 014.jpg
    Pics 014.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Pics 015.jpg
    Pics 015.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Pics 016.jpg
    Pics 016.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Pics 017.jpg
    Pics 017.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 10
mix the following: to 1/2 a gallon of hot water, add 1/2 a cup of bleach, and 1/8 of cup of liquid spic & span detergent if you have it. (can substitute with any liq detergent if spic & span isn't available) add to the coolant reservoir or submerge the reservoir in the water / bleach solution and let it work for 10 -15 minutes before rinsing with water. Should remove the grunge.

Not sure if you're cleaning out your whole cooling system, but white vinegar is the best at it. 50/50 with water.

Bleach/water plus small pieces of rags cut up and stuffed in the reservoir and then shake. Rinse and you should be good.
Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Not sure if you're cleaning out your whole cooling system, but white vinegar is the best at it. 50/50 with water.

+1

Bleach/water plus small pieces of rags cut up and stuffed in the reservoir and then shake. Rinse and you should be good.

I've done a few of these things on my old venture and other bikes. I put in the bleach/water mix, then put in a few nuts and washers (like you would a rusty fuel tank) and shake the hell out of it. Then add a little more of the vinigar/water mixture, take a Mother's powerball mini, (I trimmed one down just for this) put on the 10" extention and pop it in the reservior and finish it off, for the crud around the opening if there is any, a bent wire coathanger or braising rod wrapped in cloth will help clean the area. Rince one more time. it will be as good as new.

Plus the powerball is washable so you can continue to use it to polish areas of your bike and car. :clapping:

Thanks guys. I let in sit in the bleach mix for about 30 min. Then I "borrowed" some of my daughter's beads she uses for necklaces and put those in with bits of rag. Shook it up really well, then rinsed with vinegar/water and then just water. Worked like a charm. I don't have one of the mother's powerballs, will have to get one. Thanks everybody.

I was wanting to get of of the VMF t shirts. Does any of the money go towards the forum? I am going to make a donation as well, but wanted to see if any of the t shirt $ goes towards the forum. Thanks.

Back