Am I a beginner?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdunn13

Reaction score
I have read a few places that the new VMax is NOT for beginners. Likewise, from the specs on the bike, I would have to concur.

However, I have no idea if I am a beginner or not. So let me tell you about myself and get some opinions.

I am 6'3 210lbs, 35 years old and pretty coordinated.

My wife and I took a beginner's safety course in spring of 2007.

After that, I got my first bike and still own it. It is a 2007 V-Star Custom (650).

I have put almost 4K miles on it since then, mainly riding it back and forth to work which is around 10 miles from my house.

I bought my wife a 2007 Honda Reflex 250cc - and put most of the 1000 miles it has on it myself as I knocked her up :) and we figured it would be best if she did not ride anymore.

I still respect my V-Star and like it a lot. I have a 2000 Trans-Am and drive that thing like a maniac - but i don't drive my bike the same way. When it comes to safety I like to err on the side of caution. However, the 650 is too small for me.

A guy I work with that has a nice V6 Honda bike - said I am ready for a bigger bike but is the VMax TOO big for me?

I don't have a death wish and am a lucky father of a one year old boy. I want to be around to watch him grow up.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
BD

I have read a few places that the new VMax is NOT for beginners. Likewise, from the specs on the bike, I would have to concur.

However, I have no idea if I am a beginner or not. So let me tell you about myself and get some opinions.

After that, I got my first bike and still own it. It is a 2007 V-Star Custom (650).

I have put almost 4K miles on it since then, mainly riding it back and forth to work which is around 10 miles from my house.

I bought my wife a 2007 Honda Reflex 250cc - and put most of the 1000 miles it has on it myself as I knocked her up :) and we figured it would be best if she did not ride anymore.

I still respect my V-Star and like it a lot. I have a 2000 Trans-Am and drive that thing like a maniac - but i don't drive my bike the same way. When it comes to safety I like to err on the side of caution. However, the 650 is too small for me.

A guy I work with that has a nice V6 Honda bike - said I am ready for a bigger bike but is the VMax TOO big for me?

I don't have a death wish and am a lucky father of a one year old boy. I want to be around to watch him grow up.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
BD

In my opinion...
It all depends on you and how you ride.
There are those that say, beginners should always start on a small cc bike and work their way up after their riding abilities improve.
But me I'm like the salmon that swims the other way. I tend to follow my own rules and they usually go against the grain.
I look at it this way... You can get maimed or killed on ANY Bike. It can also happen in a car. People are killed on the road ways everyday! The basic factor... How safe do you drive? How much attention do you pay to all aspects of driving on the road? Do you give yourself a lot of safety room? Or do you ride on the edge?

But here is one thing to keep in mind with the New 09. I've ridden the new 09. And the thing that got me the most was that it gets up to high speeds very quickly and you barely feel it. The new 09 is tight and very well balanced. It gets to 80 in a heartbeat and if your not paying attention your not going to know your going that fast.

So if your confident in your riding skills and know you are going to always air on the safe side and pay absolute attention to how fast your going and the road conditions 100% of the time. Then by all means... go for it.
But if your the type of person that finds yourself getting distracted and getting caught up in the thrills all the time. Then I would recommend waiting a couple more years till your skills are honed in more.
I made it 3 years before I went down. But others with even more experienced than I have gone down also. So it's a crapshoot if you ask me. Wrong place at the wrong time and it doesn't matter what your riding.
As riders we all accept the fact that it's always a possibility.

Good Luck! Ride SAfe!

Thoughts?

Thanks,
BD

BD, I think if you questioning it so and if your talking about a 2009 Vmax, I would say that it may test your skill - but us course only you can truly know that for sure.

The other question to ask yourself is, what type of riding will you be doing and what bike best fits that, for you.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike

I would say that the Vmax is not a beginner's bike in the sense of someone being young, careless and inexperienced.

At your age. with a child, and those few thousand miles under your belt already, I think as long as you ride responsibly you'll be fine.

However, the new Max is a seriously powerful bike, and has to be treated with a lot of respect, especially on a public highway. I guess it would be easy to 'overdo it' on the throttle and lose it, for example when slippery or when banked over, but only by being inconsiderate with the controls.

When you first get a very powerful vehicle, you usually have a few 'moments' that teach you to take it easy until you found your limits and build your confidence up. As long as you survive those, you'll be fine.

Of course, if you were to get an '09 Vmax and then find it too powerful to your liking, I'd happily swap it for my '86 Vmax, I'm a very experienced poor rider in need of more power and you would still be riding a Vmax, the real true classic too! ;-)

I would say that the Vmax is not a beginner's bike in the sense of someone being young, careless and inexperienced.

At your age. with a child, and those few thousand miles under your belt already, I think as long as you ride responsibly you'll be fine.

However, the new Max is a seriously powerful bike, and has to be treated with a lot of respect, especially on a public highway. I guess it would be easy to 'overdo it' on the throttle and lose it, for example when slippery or when banked over, but only by being inconsiderate with the controls.

When you first get a very powerful vehicle, you usually have a few 'moments' that teach you to take it easy until you found your limits and build your confidence up. As long as you survive those, you'll be fine.

Of course, if you were to get an '09 Vmax and then find it too powerful to your liking, I'd happily swap it for my '86 Vmax, I'm a very experienced poor rider in need of more power and you would still be riding a Vmax, the real true classic too! ;-)

I know someone who had been riding most of her life i would say 30 years .
She had the 09 for 1 month and put it down . Shit happens .
Its a big heavy bike that goes like fuck .
With the Vmax it can bite when you least expect it so its your call

The biggest consideration on a bike is , How does it fit?
Most people are better to start off with a bike that is fairly easy to handle weight wise,has a low center of gravity and good manners for steering and throttle.
Your size and the fact that you've already established your basics with the 650 as well as your maturity level seem to be a very good balance.
Enjoy,....but , do your self and the new family a favor and find a good riding course to take.
And don't leave the misses out of the picture , give her time and learn to ride together .
All the best ,........:punk:

i'd have to agree with gaetan the most here.. esp with the trade, but i can offer a newer, shiner 2k3 if the 2k9 falls thru! hahaha...

the bike is what you make of it, i think that can go for pretty much any bike... however i haven't rode the 2k9.. so...

Pick you up an old ZX-12 for around $5ooo.If it dosen't scare the hell out of you,move up to an 09 Max & you can start a hotrod you don't have to ride like a grasshopper.

Keep your head on straight and don't fully open up the throttle 'til you've gotten used to it.

You'll be fine.
-

Latest posts

Back