Another flaming pile of Harley Davidson?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In HS, the father of a close friend was lying on the ground under his Ford station wagon while it was on jackstands. He was using its tranny pan filled with gasoline to clean parts of the inner tranny area. He was smoking while washing the parts in the gas. Smelling the gas, I nearly chit my pants, and told him so. In response, Mr Saker then extinguished the cigarette in the trans pan of gas!

That's the day I learned it takes an open flame to ignite gas, or it's fumes. I never plan to demonstrate that to anyone - ever.

Anyone that tries that on purpose has more balls than I do.

Not to dismiss you guys but I think the chances of a cigarette igniting gasoline is very slim. Possible? Yes. Not probable though.

We'll yes and no on this statement.
1) Gasoline liquid itself does not burn. The vapors coming off of it does. (ever wondered why car makers placed the fuel pump, inside the gas tank). It was the safest place at the time.
The liquid doesn't burn and there's no air (oxygen) at that point.

Lit Cigarettes: If you ever put a magnifying glass up to the lit end of a cigarette, you can see the smoldering embers of the tobacco. What you don't see an open flame. In this situation, gasoline would not ignite.

But, when it is puffed, (or tossed, and smacks the ground), its like starting a campfire.
With the added breeze from being thrown, micro flames jumps from embers onto dry tobacco timber. In this case, gasoline vapors would ignite.

IMHO, That's worse odds than playing Russian Roulette.
So, Let's see,,
Do I have a micro, open flame when I flick that butt into a pool of gas or not?.
Best choice is, "Not To Play".

So, Let's see,,
Do I have a micro, open flame when I flick that butt into a pool of gas or not?.
Best choice is, "Not To Play".

So don't flick it in. Put it in directly by hand. That's the way my friends' father did it every time. I still backed away.

So don't flick it in. Put it in directly by hand. That's the way my friends' father did it every time. I still backed away.

I'm so glad you said that, because that's exactly what I was thinking he did.

What's REALLY messed up is. His father did this in front his son.
Most likely not explaining why it did what it did, and not burst into a ball of flames.

Now, your friend does this around his buddies, (you're there also).
Thinking it's a cool trick, not knowing, he shouldn't flick it, or take a toke.. Pooof :angry flame:FLAME-ON..:angry flame:

I smell a recipe for disaster, and toasted flesh..

Glad you had the sense to back up.. :)

I guess they should make the fueling instruction stickers a bit bigger at the pumps! And maybe more diagrams showing how to fuel your vehicle correctly........we are a dumber society now.....lol

I guess they should make the fueling instruction stickers a bit bigger at the pumps! And maybe more diagrams showing how to fuel your vehicle correctly........we are a dumber society now.....lol

Here is their sign.

Attachments

• sign.png
    sign.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 5
The vapors burn not the gasoline,OK but the cigarette or whatever it is has to pass through the vapor to get to the gas! Right??

The vapors burn not the gasoline,OK but the cigarette or whatever it is has to pass through the vapor to get to the gas! Right??

Correct..

What's the question?

Correct..

What's the question?

Not really a question.I guess I just didn't understand the earlier post implying the flame or ignition source could be put directly into gas with no danger.It would have to pass through the fumes to get to the gasoline.Maybe I misunderstood and I opologize if that is the case.

Back