Anybody know what it goes to?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATMAX

Reaction score
Last basket case I bought had this with it and I can't for the life of me figure it out. It looks fairly new but it ain't no Vmax part! Once I can ID it, I can ebay it unless one of you guys might want it. :ummm:

Last edited:
Looks like a Vmax part to me. It's the right side handlebar switchgear. It also holds the throttle twist grip cables that operate the carbs. But, it is not a USA part. Looks european, due to the hazard light switch and the fuel reserve switch way at the bottom. The USA one is different.

Vinnie

I have a venture unit that is similar but will need to look at the bike to make sure (if i can remember). I know one side has a cruise control switches so just need to examine it again.

Sean

Thanks for the quick reply Vin. Notice that the Hazard is where "our" reserve switch is so it taint to our Max. Gotta be another Yamaha product. Maybe ATV now that I think of it. Maybe the numbers on the bottom view mean something to someone. The casting does look identical to our Max throttle though! Keep the guesses coming!:eusa_dance:

Looks like a Vmax part to me. It's the right side handlebar switchgear. It also holds the throttle twist grip cables that operate the carbs. But, it is not a USA part. Looks european, due to the hazard light switch and the fuel reserve switch way at the bottom. The USA one is different.

Vinnie
+1
It's from european version v-max.

Wow! Euro version V Max? Looks like it goes to Ebay as no US Max rider will have a use for it. Virago 535, guess by Elimax? It is really nice shape. Don't know how it would get here from across the pond but thanks for all the replies. Too bad I had found number part number on it.:confused2:

I don't know how you do it Sean. Did you get the pumpkin yet?
By the way, Sketchy Rodgers just sent me an email inquiring about this part to actuate an air shifter I think. I suppose that will be pretty trick. My piece is a whole lot nicer than the Ebay one. Thanks, I'll post you as the winner. Patmax

Am going to use the "Hazard light" switch to arm my airshifter (actuate the shifter throught the horn button). Like the fact that it is a "Genuine Yamaha Part":biglaugh:

I do like it! Haven't thought about doing that but it would be cleaner install. I ended up getting the drag Fazer back (in trade towards part of the 05 I sold to the friend). We have a regular button to arm it but this would clean it up some.

I do have a setup from a Venture I was going to try and use too that has the cruise control on it. I think I have all the cruise stuff I need too so look for that mod in the future.

Haven't got the diff yet but I imagine it will be here any day.

Sean

Vinnie

Yup, Vmax part alright. I know this because it's identical to mine!

Answer is: Yamaha XV1100 Virago throttle control. Guess who came up with the definitive answer? Morley of course. The guy is a veritable walking encylopedia of Yamaha info. Thanks Sean and all who answered! Patmax

Last edited:
So are my controls non-Vmax?
or did Yamaha cut corners on the european model and use Virago parts?

Certainly in Aus, Viragos from the mid 80s seem to share a part or 2.
(Typical Yamaha)
For example, '82 750 Virago (monoshock) output shaft is prettymuch identical to '85 Vmax (don't ask how I know yet)

If Yamaha is anything like U.S. Auto manufacturers, they throw on whatever fit or left over from previous year production. Probably can't get away with that practice in the aviation field though! I am sure governmental specs are different between countries for cycles as well as cars. US has been cheated out of some nice cars because of bumper and emission rules. Damn those bureacrats!

Yamaha is a very interchangeable parts company. The switch housings are very similar for most models all through those years with mostly just a guts change. That's why if you look on the bottom of your U.S. switch housing you'll see casting areas for other features like the noted reserve switch.

I'm sure it's a euro vmax housing too but not likely from a Vmax to make it over here. I'm sure it was from a Virago. BUT, more then likely it may or may not plug and play with your euro harness.

Sean

It will be on its way to Tom at COO for installation on Toxic shortly. He will be able to tell me about any differences in the wiring harness. I noted that he fuel switch has its own wiring going towards the harness, just wondering if it goes into a seperate connector or into one like is on a US/Can Max. Should know soon:eusa_dance:

It will be on its way to Tom at COO for installation on Toxic shortly. He will be able to tell me about any differences in the wiring harness. I noted that the fuel switch has its own wiring going towards the harness, just wondering if it goes into a seperate connector or into one like is on a US/Can Max. Should know soon:eusa_dance:

I posted a combo with electrical diagrams somwhere here :ummm:
You will find the all difrences there.

Back