Arcing Boots and wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
When my bikes warms up I can hear a snapping coming from mainly the left rear plug and some from the right rear but not quite as much.If I touch them of course i get shocked and i noticed if i touch the frame and boot at the same time the motor dies,Can those hard plastic boots go bad?,the Yamaha dealer said the plug rarely go bad which i find hard to believe but said nothing of the boots.Is the snapping and arcing common for old worn boots and wires?It's an 86 and I'm pretty sure they're original.I'm replacing all the above because of this and was wondering if there was anything else I might be overlooking.What is the best stuff to replace them with out there that won't break me.Also (I know it's not electrical)but i've noticed my rubber boots from the carbs to the v'boost seem to be sucking air and i noticed a small crack in one,any tips on where to get these from anyone is appreciated.What other years boots will work on an 86.thanks guys...Dave

When my bikes warms up I can hear a snapping coming from mainly the left rear plug and some from the right rear but not quite as much.If I touch them of course i get shocked and i noticed if i touch the frame and boot at the same time the motor dies,Can those hard plastic boots go bad?,the Yamaha dealer said the plug rarely go bad which i find hard to believe but said nothing of the boots.Is the snapping and arcing common for old worn boots and wires?It's an 86 and I'm pretty sure they're original.I'm replacing all the above because of this and was wondering if there was anything else I might be overlooking.What is the best stuff to replace them with out there that won't break me.Also (I know it's not electrical)but i've noticed my rubber boots from the carbs to the v'boost seem to be sucking air and i noticed a small crack in one,any tips on where to get these from anyone is appreciated.What other years boots will work on an 86.thanks guys...Dave

Dave, sounds like plug wires are finished. Either new stock ones, or NGK plug wires will work fine or maybe time to go with COP - like Birdoprey's idea - would be a perfect time to do it.

As far as the intake/vboost rubber boots, all years fit - best place to get is from dealer.

Mike

Yea I have an '86 also and am in the process of upgrading to Coils Over Plugs.

Once I have them on and sorted, you can have my old plug wires and boots for the cost of shipping to you - I will have no need for them and they work fine and are in good enough condition.

Lemme know if interested..

Latest posts

Back