Balancer Shaft Alignment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
The picture in the publicly available manual is not very clear. I'm trying to align the balancer shaft and crankshaft, but unfortunately they both indicate a specific tooth instead of a tooth and root. Can someone verify whether this alignment is correct, or whether I have it one tooth off?

IMG_1511 (1).jpg

You are aligning the mark on the gear with a mark on the crankcase
According to the Service manual (p.3-61):

Be sure the balance shaft gear is aligned so that the dot mark lines up between the triangular timing marks on the upper crank-case when the No. 1piston is at TDC.

Balance shaft mark.jpg
1) Balance shaft mark
2)Triangular timing marks

Last edited:
I cannot find that instruction in the manual...are you referencing the Yamaha Factory Service Manual? Here's what I'm seeing:

1699802350192.png

and from another version of the Yamaha Factory Service Manual:

1699802428034.png

Unfortunately it's difficult to see the pictures. I was hoping for a tooth and root marked, but I've got two teeth marked, which leaves two potential position.

The mark on the balancer shaft should be on the groove, not the tooth. The mark on the crankshaft is on the tooth.

Cheers.

Mark

Oh, okay...so on closer inspection the "J" mark on the tooth (red arrow) is not the timing mark, but the punch on the gear (green arrow) IS the timing mark?

1699806207201.png

That could be it. Mine has two dimple marks. One where yours is and on a same line and on the tooth groove.

Attachments

• IMG_8993.jpg
    IMG_8993.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 0
13 teeth is the magic number. You should see the throws as well. See pics. This is from sitting in the upper case half though.Crank to Balanceer Orientation 1.jpg
Crank to Balanceer Orientation 3.jpg

Back