battery new, starter won't engage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migs9999

Reaction score
My Bike was working fine, I change the plugs and battery, everything works except it won't start. I accidently touched the screwdriver while putting the positive on, and noticed that the lead which threads through to the rear plug was very short on wire. This is for an 85 Vmax. Any ideas?

My Bike was working fine, I change the plugs and battery, everything works except it won't start. I accidently touched the screwdriver while putting the positive on, and noticed that the lead which threads through to the rear plug was very short on wire. This is for an 85 Vmax. Any ideas?

Check your fuses located under the faux tank cover - sounds like may have blown a fuse

Mike

Check your fuses located under the faux tank cover - sounds like may have blown a fuse

Mike
Mike
I replaced the fuses. I know there's safety switches on these bikes--does the faux cover need to be on to start? I've got a Maxim that has a safety on both the clutch and kickstand. My next step is to disconnect everything and start over. I noticed that the battery is connected through the electronic connection over the battery to the two rear plugs. I've owned this bike for less than a week, so I'm just getting familiar. The battery had to be replaced, and the plugs as well, but I've never been on a bike like this, it was an awesome ride. I'm eager to do it some more. Thanks!

Last edited:
There are two fuse panels. One of which is the Main and is located near the battery and the other is the row of fuses under the faux tank cover.

The fuses near the battery on the main are the operation fuse and the spare next to it.

Sean Morley

Mike
I replaced the fuses. I know there's safety switches on these bikes--does the faux cover need to be on to start? I've got a Maxim that has a safety on both the clutch and kickstand. My next step is to disconnect everything and start over. I noticed that the battery is connected through the electronic connection over the battery to the two rear plugs. I've owned this bike for less than a week, so I'm just getting familiar. The battery had to be replaced, and the plugs as well, but I've never been on a bike like this, it was an awesome ride. I'm eager to do it some more. Thanks!

Sounds like the battery is not connected right.

There is no safety switch on the faux cover - it can be off and bike will start - as the maxim there is safety switches on kick stand and clutch.

In between the 2 rear coils there's the starter relay - did you remove the 2 cables that were connected to it to remove the coil assembly to get to the battery (I'm not talking about the spark plug leads) If so, you may have put them back on the wrong way - the black cable (goes directly to the starter) goes to the left side of starter relay and the red cable (goes to a main fuse and positive post of battery) goes to large bolt on starter relay beside black one.

If cables reversed, this would cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.

Good luck

Mike

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated.:cheers:
I took the battery off and found the problem. I didn't hook up the main negative lead:ummm:. Really dumb, but I'm glad it wasn't worse.
David

Last edited:
Back