Be alert and ride safe!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1.6 million vehicle crashes involving deer occur each year in the U.S. These accidents peak between October and January when deer are breeding and most active. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind as deer season gets into full swing:
  1. Be aware of your surroundings. Your chances of encountering a deer are greatly increased when riding through heavily wooded areas or rural areas. If you see a deer crossing sign, be on the lookout. These signs are usually posted in areas where there have been a lot of deer-related incidents.
  2. Look out for the pack. Deer are pack animals, so chances are that if you see one cross the road, several others will follow. Slow down or stop if you see a deer crossing and wait until the last of the pack has run by. Leave plenty of space between you and the rider in front of you, in case you need to brake suddenly.
  3. Check the clock. Deer are most active around dusk and dawn. Visibility is low at these times, so use your high-beam headlights when possible.
  4. Make sure your bike is in good shape. Having brakes and tires that are in good shape will greatly increase your ability to stop suddenly. Practice threshold breaking in a parking lot and know instinctively how hard you can squeeze the discs before the wheels lock up. You dont want to panic and make the situation worse when the moment happens. Know your machine.

Copied from Mr. Cycle posting,
Steve-o

During my 1,200 miles this summer, I've had 5 "near" incidents ALL in broad daylight.

1- A stupid prick pulled out in front of me w/ a dumptruck

2- Another stupid prick turned left in front of me

3- A small herd of deer crossed at about 40 yards in front

4- A jogger(w/ an I-pod) turned around in the road in front of me at 20 yards.

5- Worst yet- A freaking turkey flew across the road at chest level, gave it a swat w/ my fist.

use your high-beam headlights when possible.

This one especially. Whenever in a wooded area I've got the high's on and am scanning side to side to catch that little reflective glint of light off their eyes or antlers. When I see it I slow down and prepare to stop because they like to bolt across the road as soon you're close enough to spook them.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1.6 million vehicle crashes involving deer occur each year in the U.S. These accidents peak between October and January when deer are breeding and most active. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind as deer season gets into full swing:
  1. Be aware of your surroundings. Your chances of encountering a deer are greatly increased when riding through heavily wooded areas or rural areas. If you see a deer crossing sign, be on the lookout. These signs are usually posted in areas where there have been a lot of deer-related incidents.
  2. Look out for the pack. Deer are pack animals, so chances are that if you see one cross the road, several others will follow. Slow down or stop if you see a deer crossing and wait until the last of the pack has run by. Leave plenty of space between you and the rider in front of you, in case you need to brake suddenly.
  3. Check the clock. Deer are most active around dusk and dawn. Visibility is low at these times, so use your high-beam headlights when possible.
  4. Make sure your bike is in good shape. Having brakes and tires that are in good shape will greatly increase your ability to stop suddenly. Practice threshold breaking in a parking lot and know instinctively how hard you can squeeze the discs before the wheels lock up. You dont want to panic and make the situation worse when the moment happens. Know your machine.

Copied from Mr. Cycle posting,
Steve-o

This is my biggest fear when riding.

Good stuff Steve........I always have to force myself to look away from the first deer to scan back to the first side of the road for deer#2.....always instintively following the first one in to the woods with my eyes to not see the second coming out.......

Then giggle amongst their survivors about how they ruined your day.

Back