bike runs like crap after washing or riding in the rain

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax-jeff

Reaction score
This just started to happen.

After I wash my bike it runs like crap and sometimes won't even start until things dry out.

I don't over spray it, just a gentle rinse and I try to keep the water spray to a minimum.

The last time I road in some pretty heavy rain it started to die too.

Won't idle and a real pita to start if it dies.

Somethings getting wet but I don't know if it's ignition or carburation.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's a puzzle.

Thanks

Jeff

This just started to happen.

After I wash my bike it runs like crap and sometimes won't even start until things dry out.

I don't over spray it, just a gentle rinse and I try to keep the water spray to a minimum.

The last time I road in some pretty heavy rain it started to die too.

Won't idle and a real pita to start if it dies.

Somethings getting wet but I don't know if it's ignition or carburation.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's a puzzle.

Thanks

Jeff

Check all your connections and use Dielectric Grease on them. Pickup coil connection, HT coil connections, cdi, vboost control, switches, etc.

Water is conducting the current away from where it needs to go, somewhere.

Neil

The best way to troubleshoot this is..

Start the bike up and idle it up to 2500-3000 RPMS and take a spray bottle and start spraying around areas. I am betting you may have a cracked coil under your seat..

Also check your plug boots. Mine used to run on 3cyl after washing or a rain until it warmed up enough to dry out the spark plug area. Checked and the boots were so badly cracked on the backside that water was shorting out the plug. No spark, no go. Changed to new NGK boots and no problems since.

Latest posts

Back