Black OEM gen 1 exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmmbmmmdm

Reaction score
Curious if anyone would know the value of the OEM black exhausts on a gen 1. I have a friend that says they're rare and would love to swap some Kerker 4-1 for mine.

I happen to be partial to the OEM exhaust in the looks dept, and the factory apparently has done a decent job of designing it, when you look at what happens to the people who think that the Cobra 4-into-4's are a performance enhancement.

There were few years using the black chrome, yes, they're rare, as to $$ value, like anything else, it's what someone is willing to pay. You can price the OEM exhaust and see that new is a very-expensive proposition. That's 'if' the black ones are even available anymore. I'd say that for someone who wants to buy or obtain an OEM exhaust and has a Kerker 4/1, they will lose some RWHP, but return to the stock appearance, which I think the factory got it right, the first time. For the fellow installing the Kerker 4/1, and with proper re-jetting, you're going to see a decent increase in HP, and the sound at idle, 'bragging-rights' at your local bike night. The youngsters will be surprised. "What's that sound? You got cams in that?"

"Why ye, yes, I do!"
Otherwise how would it run? 🤔 :D

Be aware that you will have to remove one of your centerstand mounting loops, and probably either grind or try to bend the other, to mount the Kerker 4/1.

Something that could make-up your mind, ride the two, back-to-back. See for yourself what the difference is in throttle response and top-end. If the friend doesn't have the Kerker installed you just have to go then, 'on the literature,' which says that you should be able to gain about 10% from a proper swap. A 1300cc Venture engine and a Kerker 4/1 would give you a good relatively less-expensive power increase. You'd probably be making somewhere between 120 and 130 RWHP.

Last edited:
I agree that in the looks department, nothing beats the OEM design. Yamaha Got that right. However, it sounds like a Singer sewing machine.

For nearly 4 decades I have been hooked on the sound of a Vmax with a healthy aftermarket exhaust, whether 4 into 1 or 4 into 2. I always thought I prefered the sound of the Kerker on the Vmax and have had two of them, but this Dale Walker 4-2 has made a believer out of me.Da

But nobody will ever be disappointed installing a Kerker on a Gen 1 Vmax. Nobody.

I agree that in the looks department, nothing beats the OEM design. Yamaha Got that right. However, it sounds like a Singer sewing machine.

For nearly 4 decades I have been hooked on the sound of a Vmax with a healthy aftermarket exhaust, whether 4 into 1 or 4 into 2. I always thought I prefered the sound of the Kerker on the Vmax and have had two of them, but this Dale Walker 4-2 has made a believer out of me.Da

But nobody will ever be disappointed installing a Kerker on a Gen 1 Vmax. Nobody.
Of course, there's more to a successful install than the replacement of the exhaust.

1620399358946.png

A used like new would go from $350 to $500. NOS $750. Prices based on what I have bought and sold stock black.
I have not seen a set with zero edge damage in a year maybe two.

Back