Blackbird

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollie

Reaction score
Going to look at a '99 Honda CBR 1100 XX Blackbird today . 11k miles for $ 3,400. any thoughts or experiences with 'em ?

I have ridden a couple, Luv 'um!
Clutchs can't handle tons of mods as they are small. But still luv the bike. Would like to own one myself one day!

Those are great bikes! Ours is a 02 in silver. The 99 was still carbureted - I think efi started in 2000 but the carbed model is good too. Build quality is top notch and power delivery is smooooth. Cooincidentally my new Delkevic cans just arrived today for ours. My brother in law and myself have had a revolving door of multiple bikes for the last few years and have decided that (among a few others) the vmax and blackbird are here to stay. If that deal falls through keep looking - anyone would be crazy not to love an XX. Good luck!

Never rode one, but I have always been a fan. ( I said that about V-maxes until I bought one, too :) )

Those are great bikes! Ours is a 02 in silver. The 99 was still carbureted - I think efi started in 2000 but the carbed model is good too. Build quality is top notch and power delivery is smooooth. Cooincidentally my new Delkevic cans just arrived today for ours. My brother in law and myself have had a revolving door of multiple bikes for the last few years and have decided that (among a few others) the vmax and blackbird are here to stay. If that deal falls through keep looking - anyone would be crazy not to love an XX. Good luck!

Seller advertised a recent fuel injection cleaning . That doesn't bode well for his veracity.

The only problem I know of is minor and it is the Cam Chain tensioner that is weak other wise 17 friends have them with everything from Mild build to wild build with No problems . One Buddy has the first yr. Blackbird in Black of course and we always joke because part the serial number on the bike frame that you see is 666, nice little touch for Satan's personal ride!. Later Kurt

I have heard the motors are bullet proof , but I still don't know if this price is a deal or not , any advice on the price .... $ 3,400 , 11 K miles , Two Brothers Racing Exhaust 4 to 2 system , no scratches , dents , dings or drops .

Last edited:
BUY IT!!! That is a Great Price simply for the fact that if you go on the Blackbird Owners Site there are guys willing to pay a small fortune for that Pipe by Two Brothers Racing. My buddy for his 2 Bors Pipe was offered 2 grand for the exhaust and a stock exhaust to replace it with , of course after some research he found out why most want that pipe , on the carb bikes it made the most h.p. with the best Linear power curve for both Torque and Horse power and apparently it is the same with the fuel injected bikes also. As for the price I think it is a Great Price for a low mileage bike see many up here in Pa. going for 4 to 5 grand with higher miles. Wish I lived closer and had the extra cash I'd buy it now. Later Kurt

Seller advertised a recent fuel injection cleaning . That doesn't bode well for his veracity.

So sorry, my fault! The 99 is injected.
From Wikipedia:

"Production of the Blackbird began in 1996 and halted in 2007. Imports to North America ended in 2003 but sales continued in Europe until 2007. Major changes to the Blackbird were introduced in 1999, when Honda switched from carburetors to PGM fuel injection. The 2001 Blackbird received an LCD instrument cluster. Since then, mostly the color schemes have changed but changes to the exhaust and fuelling systems have been made to meet emission standards and maintain or improve fuel efficiency."

You should go buy that.

BUY IT!!! That is a Great Price simply for the fact that if you go on the Blackbird Owners Site there are guys willing to pay a small fortune for that Pipe by Two Brothers Racing. My buddy for his 2 Bors Pipe was offered 2 grand for the exhaust and a stock exhaust to replace it with , of course after some research he found out why most want that pipe , on the carb bikes it made the most h.p. with the best Linear power curve for both Torque and Horse power and apparently it is the same with the fuel injected bikes also. As for the price I think it is a Great Price for a low mileage bike see many up here in Pa. going for 4 to 5 grand with higher miles. Wish I lived closer and had the extra cash I'd buy it now. Later Kurt

Wow , $2 K for the Two Bros. exhaust and a stock set. I forgot to add the seller is including the stock system w/ stainless pipes / cans with the sale .

Thats what I said but just like us hard core V-Max guys you have Blackbird guys and after talking to a few over the yrs. The 4/1 Two Bros pipe was discontinued {maybe not enough sales or whatever} but the exhaust is not made any more so used is the only way to get it . The pipe has a Nice Tone to it when your on the pipe it's not overly loud or an "attention getter for cops" but lets you know the bike has the power and ability to get up and go . Hopefully he has not fooled with the can and unpacked it or done anything else stupid too it. .

Thats what I said but just like us hard core V-Max guys you have Blackbird guys and after talking to a few over the yrs. The 4/1 Two Bros pipe was discontinued {maybe not enough sales or whatever} but the exhaust is not made any more so used is the only way to get it . The pipe has a Nice Tone to it when your on the pipe it's not overly loud or an "attention getter for cops" but lets you know the bike has the power and ability to get up and go . Hopefully he has not fooled with the can and unpacked it or done anything else stupid too it. .

Owner stretched the truth a bit. Not 4-1 , but it is Two Bros. C Series X-Metal slip ons , 11K with no alterations , " They were $ 1,800 list in 2000 " , stock exhausts were NEVER hooked up & go with the bike , original owner ordered less expensive black carbon fiber but they shipped him these and gave him a choice , so he kept 'em when he bought the bike new in late '99 . Sounds good & deep for a I-4 . Tire on the front only has tread on the driver ( L ) side , nothing on the right side of the tire . It was like he went to the track and it turned out to be a circle going clockwise and never turned left. LOL
No dents or dings , tank bra . Said he bought it to keep up with his friends Busa and had it up to 180 but he didn't look like he had the nads for it to me. Quite frankly neither do I .

Attachments

• Honda '99 CBR Blackbird 9.jpg
    Honda '99 CBR Blackbird 9.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Honda '99 CBR Blackbird 7.jpg
    Honda '99 CBR Blackbird 7.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Honda '99 CBR 1100XX Blackbird 3.jpg
    Honda '99 CBR 1100XX Blackbird 3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Honda '99 CBR Blackbird 6.jpg
    Honda '99 CBR Blackbird 6.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 40
Looks nice. If you get it, I would check the front wheel bearings. Sounds like the right side is gone if there is no tread on that side.

Owner stretched the truth a bit. Not 4-1 , but it is Two Bros. C Series X-Metal slip ons , 11K with no alterations , " They were $ 1,800 list in 2000 " , stock exhausts were NEVER hooked up & go with the bike , original owner ordered less expensive black carbon fiber but they shipped him these and gave him a choice , so he kept 'em when he bought the bike new in late '99 . Sounds good & deep for a I-4 . Tire on the front only has tread on the driver ( L ) side , nothing on the right side of the tire . It was like he went to the track and it turned out to be a circle going clockwise and never turned left. LOL
No dents or dings , tank bra . Said he bought it to keep up with his friends Busa and had it up to 180 but he didn't look like he had the nads for it to me. Quite frankly neither do I .

Cool looking bike. :punk:

Got a plate & some new shoes for it , front bearings were fine so I took it for a brief spin to the next town & back . Took a few corners with dips and indentions. Suspension and new tires ate 'em up . Smoothest rocket I've driven yet. 135 on I-20 in a heartbeat , steady as a rock. Happy as a clam. :punk:

Attachments

• 7-19-11 1135.jpg
    7-19-11 1135.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 7-19-11 1131.jpg
    7-19-11 1131.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
Back