Brain storming needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
I was helping a buddy out today on a new/used max he picked up, it's been sitting for a few years so I went through the carbs, cleaned them, new plugs, brake fluid etc...I got the drop cylinder sound to go away, I think it was a plugged carb passage but it still runs a little pukey, It has Jardine slip-ons and stock jetting. Anyone running those and did you need to shim the needle? I think its running WAY too lean as the plugs showed bone white tips, it smells lean, and just revs slow. Plug wires are good and battery is new. Can anyone think of something I missed?

On a good note my bike is running like a gut shot deer!!!

Another side note, I'm going out to tie one on tonight so I'll be off line shortly.

Pilot Screws?
Bypass holes not clogged.
Diaphragms in good shape?
Good seal on outside carb cover?

Yep, yep, yep, it all looks sound on the inside. I disassembled and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air, been in mine so many times I put myself to sleep at night thinking about the components and what they do. It did have a dead cylinder before we started and it went away but I think its lean on all four, when you slide into the boost at 6 it just lumbers on by like it does from 4-5k...No jump at all and its cycling with the key. I think I'm gonna put a shim in and see if the midrange wakes up.
Sounds funny but I don't know about this slip on stuff...I'm a full pipe and stage 7 jet guy, you know, the easy ones to tune.

I run Jardines slip-ons, had Supertrapps on before that, and OEM to start with.

Stock everything else - just a K&N air filter. Worked great with OEM (had shims on needles when I got the bike but I took them off), with Supertrapps it seemed to go rich, with the Jardines it's been fine.

I've had a contaminated fuel problem so hard to tell for sure, but it's fixed now so I'll find out how it runs soon.

Thats about where I'm at, contaminated fuel, gonna change the filter tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it I'm shimming the needle for more midrange at 2400".

Back