Camchain tensioners.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Anyone got any idea how long the sliders in the camchain tensioners should last? No problems yet, but with the mileage I've got on my motor, just wondering if I have reason for concern yet....

Is changing them a "remove heads" job, or can I get by with leaving them on. I figure I'd do the camchains at the same time, whenever that is...

The sliders will come out the top and to change out the cam chains you will have to split the cases. I have not heard of the sliders wearing out and have only heard of onr chain breaking. I know of one vmax with over 100'000 miles and no problems with chains or sliders, so I dont think I would worry about them.

I can't remember from when I tore my engine down but doesn't one of the tensioners come out from the bottom? Or have to be unbolted from the bottom? Either way I wouldn't worry about it, never heard of one wearing out.....

Yamaha did their homework designing the chain tensioning system on VMax's... It's as strong as it gets. Never heard of any problems that weren't owner induced...

Correct. They will last plenty long. One set of guides can be easliy removed with the valve covers off (though probably not with the engine in the bike). The other set (which is what the tensioner pushes against) requires cylinder head removal.

Sean

Back