Cant get lathe to spin..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
This lathe at work is giving me problems. I'm sure it works well but I have no idea how to run the controls. I have a small lathe at home, but its not big enough for my project.

I can get the motor to run, but cant get it to turn material. Id ask the owner, but I don't think he would want me to use it.

Anyone please..?

I wish I was there..... Is there a belt engage on the end of the lathe or on the back side of the control cabinet? I know some people will dissengauge the drive when they are done using them

G

I wish I was there..... Is there a belt engage on the end of the lathe or on the back side of the control cabinet? I know some people will dissengauge the drive when they are done using them

G

Checked the belt and its on and spinning.

Belt engage? Nothing on the back. I opened the belt door but don't see and levers.

I'm guessing the guy who normally runs it did something to prevent people like me from using it. :biglaugh:

The Colchester 1600 was our "medium size" lathe, at the power plant where I worked. God, I loved that machine!
No longer having access to a machine shop has been a disadvantage - although one of the few - of retirement.
A word to the wise, Mr.Rebar.....don't try to self-teach yourself on this or any other shop machine. They can be deadly, even when being used by experienced operators (in these cases, carelessness/familiarity being the causes) You are probably right about the owner not wanting you to use it. He would not want an accident to be on his shoulders.
Stay safe!

I think I found a alternative method. I needed to enlarge the I.D. of 1 1/2" pvc tubing just a bit to slide over my 40mm fork tube. I did it with a 1 1/2" wire wheel.

Will see if that works after work.

Pretty sure the handle at the lower right of the carriage does it. Pull up to go forward and down to go in reverse. Like was mentioned above, lathes can easily kill so be careful!

The gear box may simply be "in between gear sets"----- everything spins except the chuck. Try to change the RPM ( think it the double handle at the top).

I have the doubious pleasure of teaching high school students (starting in 9th grade) how to use a lathe. Trust me I do let them know how powerful and dangerous a lathe can be. I've been hit and cut in my youth. My real fear would be in a wood working class and having to teach them how to use a table saw or a band saw.

Lew

Last edited:
My Powermatic 66 table saw took two fingers from the previous owner in a telling moment of inattention. My brother who was working on the job as a carpenter fished-out the fingers from the sawdust & took them to the hospital behind the patient, but they weren't able to reattach them. Happened in Coconut Grove FL.

I agree, you shouldn't be messing w/industrial equipment you don't know how to operate, whether it's an Omark gun, a lathe, or a 200 ton stamping machine. Would you give your keys to your VMax to someone whose last two-wheel powered adventure was an auto-clutch Rupp mini bike 40 years ago?

Like previously stated if you don't know how to put it to work probably your level of knowledge is not enough to be operating it... Either way it might be inbetween gears like said already. usually the gears are changed in motion and it can get inbetween like a false neutral. If i were you i'd ask for permission to use it or ask the guy to run it for you to get the part done. Even if you have to throw him a couple bucks...

LOL, I ve picked up lots of fingers and thumbs in my career. Thankfully none of them mine. I ve cut myself badly, but I am always cautious. ( knock on wood now ).

Just ask, better if they say no, then you losing a eye over it.

Todd

A trick the shop monitors used to deter "casual" use of our old 40s era South Bend benchtop lathes was to pull the knob behind the chuck that engages the back-gear, but leave the shifter on regular....so both ratios would be engaged simultaneously, locking the chuck through the transmission. It was kind of a ruse, technically nobody was supposed to use them after hours when the monitors went home, but it was kind of seen that if you knew enough to figure out their trick, you probably knew how to use it in the first place. It was also possible to get the backgear shifter in between the two positions, giving a false neutral.

Most people who didn't take the basic machine tech class were too baffled by the old south bends to use them anyway. They're of course purely mechanical, had have probably a dozen shifters, knobs, and selectors. None of them labeled or obvious as to function. There's a certain mechanical elegance to running such old machines. Gentle whirr of countless gears all spinning in precise concert, just don't get it from newer or cnc machines.

did it without the lathe..

"pull the knob behind the chuck that engages the back-gear, but leave the shifter on regular..."

Will check that out for "next time"

Attachments

• vmaxforktool.jpg
    vmaxforktool.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 8
Back