carb flooding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1956

Reaction score
I am having trouble with fuel coming out of the top of my carbs mostly out of the main air jets. The bike has 4k miles but sat for about 8 years with no storage preparation. It will run ok for a while and then start flooding again. I have dissassembled and cleaned the carbs multiple times and replaced the needles with new oem parts. I inquired on this forum about replacing the needle seats but nobody replied that had ever changed them so that must not be a common problem. Has anybody had to change the seats? Is there a float test that can be done? I have successfully rebuilt many carbs in the past including vmax carbs but these have me stumped.The float heights have been set using accepted methods found on this site.

Have you tried running a strong mix of Carb Cleaner or Sea Foam mixed in the fuel. I had one Needle and Seat sticking and over flowing just as you mentioned. Ran 80 ML of Sea Foam in a tank and it cleared.... You definitely have sticking needles and seats with it overflowing through the top.... Replacement may be the only fix. 8 years is an eternity to sit unridden..

Good Luck....

I have not heard of anyone having to change the seat. I believe even Sean said he has never done it. Looks like it has to come out from the top. Not sure how you would remove that round cap though, if I remember right it is smooth?

Are you sure you are not getting any debris in there that may be preventing the needle from sealing against the seat. Fine rust particles would do this.

The needles are new. The tank has been cleaned and coated inside. All of the lines have been cleaned. 2 new filters. No debri shows up inside carbs when dissassembled.

The top of the cap that has to be removed to replace the seat is flat, flush with the carb top and staked in place.

If its pouring out of the main jet, I would imagine its the float height causing it.

Bob1956, did you ever figure out what the problem was. I am having the same problem with 2, of the 4 carbs I just cleaned. Both are on the same bank. Fuel is coming out the main air jet. I have not connected the carbs together, would that make a difference? I have connected the fuel line to each carb while the float bowl was off and let the float open and close the needle, letting fuel come in, and stopping the flow of fuel. From this I deduced that the needle is stopping the fuel and the float is working properly. The float level has been adjusted per this web site. Anyone have any suggestions?

On another note: does the float bowl purge screw get screwed all the way in?

Did you do a dry & wet bench float adjustment? What did you use for a guide to adjust the floats . I always set floats at 16 mm

Did you check your pins (float pins) to see if they are straight by rolling them around on a flat surface ? You can clean your needle seats with a cotton swab attached to a drill with swab soaked in acetone, but be sure to blow compressed air into seat to dislodge any cotton debrie.

Latest posts

Back