Carb issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icepick

Reaction score
Help!
on my '92 V Max, when I am going about 65-70/ 4-5k rpm's, the bike spits and sputters, until I give more throttle, above 70 it runs fine, also i notice that the # 2 carb is spitting fuel out of the "over flow" tube, (the float is sticking or not adjusted correctly tube) Could these issues be related, and how difficult is it to remove the float cover and check/ adjust the float with the carb. rack still on the bike?
Thanks

Sorry to say but you can not do anything to the floats with the carbs on the bike. They need removed and then you have the separate them into pairs. The float bowls are on the sides of the carbs on these bikes, not the bottom.

Sounds like you may have a sticky float or worn needle valve. Sometimes a good tap on the carb will help release a sticky float. If that doesn't do the trick I would investigate further and start disassembly. All the info you need to do that is here on the forum in the sticky threads in the carb section. Great stuff in there.

Decided to tear into the carbs, found two of the diaphragms on the accelerator pumps are worn, i wonder if that could be a part of my sputter @ the 4-5k rpm problem?

Another question, I took the carbs apart to clean them, noticed I have #190 main jets in carbs 1 & 3 and # 185 jets in carbs 2 & 4, ( the manual calls for 152.5's in all 4) should I replace them as per the manual? the bike has aftermarket slip-on mufflers, not sure what kind, also my pipes are wrapped.
Thanks for any info!

BTW, I have the K&N filters in the bike and am at 600' above sea level.
thinking about going to the stock 152.5 main jets, the plugs look like i'm running lean...

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/carb/walsh/walshcarbs.htm
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/index.html

here is some reference material, also there are some good posts in the carb section and the frequently asked question section
----> http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3809
the 190 shoud be your paj2 if you have a jet kit in it. 170 is stock, you can look at the reference material and get familiar with what you are working with to better describe your problem. i found all this to be very helpful. her is another with good pictures. http://imageevent.com/wforest/carbswhatamess;jsessionid=qx8h4ccve2.zebra_s

if you have the k&n pods you most likely have the dynojet stage 7 kit, 190 is correct for your paj2 (under your diaphrams) stock main works best with that set up or even 1 step smaller. do you have aftermarket exhaust? which?

should I replace them as per the manual?
Thanks for any info!

yes, your main you are talking about the one in your float bowl? yes they should all be the same. if you have the k&n pods? you should try the stock main 152.5 and make sure you have air correctors in your #3 on diagram http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/images/vmaxcarb.jpg (main air jet) look down the hole and if you see a pen tip size hole they are stock, you should see a needle tip size hole which is aftermarket air correctors. that is what you want assuming you have the freeflowing k&n pods. make sure they are all in there.
your paj#2 should be 190 dynojet. #5 in the diagram
your paj#1 should be a 90 or 100 #2 on diagram (think it depends on what state was sold "for emmisions"?)

Last edited:
i have the K & N pods, don't really like 'em.
going to get the stock main size jets and put them in, but I just found on one of the carbs, that the float needle seat is shorter the the other 3 carbs! might have to replace that carb, or find the right needle seat.

That should not matter if you have the tab bent correctly.

Sean

Thanks Sean, I thought I would try bending the tang first.
Did you recieve the parts I sent, (the chrome intake scoops, black & red side covers, and diaphragm covers?

so far...

Attachments

• FILE0042.jpg
    FILE0042.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 32
  • FILE0043.jpg
    FILE0043.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 37
tach pics fro Mike...

Attachments

• FILE0070.jpg
    FILE0070.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 29
  • FILE0071.jpg
    FILE0071.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FILE0072.jpg
    FILE0072.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 23
got it running, synced the carbs, now it backfires up through the carbs!!!
What the hell?!

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread but did you ever find out what the culprit was Icepick? I too am having the same issue between 65-75mph (4500-5000 rpm) but when I give her a little more twist or slow it down it goes away. Just so happens that about the average speed I travel too and from work at.

I have a Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and single K&N filter replacement in the stock box. Have no idea what may or may not have been done to the carbs as the bike is new to me, but I assume that they have been jetted with the exhaust.

I also smell a very faint gas smell when i shut her off, but have noticed no leaks or overflows. Any help would be very appreciated.

I am gonna try to seafoam it a few times, I have been using the blue marine grade stabil but everyone on here swears by the seafoam. Really not looking forward to having to screw around with these carbs.

Back