carb overflow tubes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randu

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i bought a '98 and these had been removed. ive heard both you need them and you dont need them. was going to put some on to see if it makes a difference. can someone tell me where are they supposed to run to? thank you

do you mean that they run up the sides of the air box and get pushed into the grooves of the Y piece?-any idea where i can buy the correct hoses? thank you!

At higher speeds, say 160 km/hr, the tubes enhance equalization of the pressure in the float bowls to permit reliable fuel flow.

Any vacuum tubing which is the proper I.D. will be suitable. If your steel tube-holder brackets are missing, you could probably fabricate something fairly easily. They route in stock position beside the airbox, not in the Y-top channels.

Do you mean the float chamber overflow tubes i.e. those that allow excess fuel to drain due to (say) a float needle valve sticking open OR the float chamber vent tubes i.e. those that maintain ambient pressure in the float chamber that fit to the top of the airbox? The tubes should exit in still air the ensure that ambient pressure is maintained in the float chamber.
If the latter then any fuel resistant tube of appropriate diameter will suffice. You may also want the two parts that the hoses go to which are secured to the airbox (1FK1441300 & 1FK1441400)
If the former then any fuel resistant tube of appropriate diameter will do.

Do you mean the float chamber overflow tubes i.e. those that allow excess fuel to drain due to (say) a float needle valve sticking open OR the float chamber vent tubes i.e. those that maintain ambient pressure in the float chamber that fit to the top of the airbox? The tubes should exit in still air the ensure that ambient pressure is maintained in the float chamber.
If the latter then any fuel resistant tube of appropriate diameter will suffice. You may also want the two parts that the hoses go to which are secured to the airbox (1FK1441300 & 1FK1441400)
If the former then any fuel resistant tube of appropriate diameter will do.
I believe the float chamber overflow tubes and the float chamber vent tubes are the same tubes?

Here's the brackets/hoses and the next picture shows them on the edge of the airbox (with our jet kit but same for stock box)

Gannon Carbs.jpg

60898_158087997550564_2745176_n.jpg

I believe the float chamber overflow tubes and the float chamber vent tubes are the same tubes?
Don't think so Danny but we may be talking at cross purposes here. My understanding is that the overflow tubes are the ones that fit into the bracket shown on Sean's photo and the vent tubes (IMO these are used to maintain ambient pressure in the float chamber) are the ones that fit onto the airbox. These couldn't be used as overflow tubes as they are much higher than the float chambers.
As always, happy to be corrected and learn.

Steve, it's probably my poor way of explaining things but there is only one hose connection on each float cover and that hose goes to the bracket which attaches to the airbox. I don't think it's designed to handle overflow because, as you mentioned, the difference in elevation between the float cover and airbox top.

Back