CAT Delete/X-Pipe/Collector Assembly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratos

Reaction score
Been away for a while, sold my 07 VMAX and got a B-King a few years ago and also now have an M109R. Looking at maybe selling/trading in the M109 for a 2nd Gen VMAX. Just doing some research on what's available as far as exhaust mods for the Gen 2. I tried searching, but did not find anything on a direct comparison. I had Mark's headers and Supertrapps on my 07 and loved the way it sounded. It looks like there are 3 types of CAT replacement/collector pipes.

1. Akra/Voodoo - links pipes that are not connected (not x-pipe)
2. Mark's Collector Assembly - doesn't seem to be an x-pipe, but designed to make the pipes equal length.
3. Optimal Carbone - Is an x-pipe, but doesn't make all the pipes equal length.

Mark's and VooDoo look to be the less expensive options. I am leaning towards Mark's because I was happy with his headers on my 07 VMAX.

Just wanting to know which of the designs is the best for power and sound? Sound is more important to me than a few HP. One thing I don't want is a raspy sounding exhaust. I'm looking at Pipe Werx for the mufflers, so I assume they should be similar to the Vance & Hines CSONE as far as sound goes.

Any info on the different designs would be much appreciated.

Been away for a while, sold my 07 VMAX and got a B-King a few years ago and also now have an M109R. Looking at maybe selling/trading in the M109 for a 2nd Gen VMAX. Just doing some research on what's available as far as exhaust mods for the Gen 2. I tried searching, but did not find anything on a direct comparison. I had Mark's headers and Supertrapps on my 07 and loved the way it sounded. It looks like there are 3 types of CAT replacement/collector pipes.

1. Akra/Voodoo - links pipes that are not connected (not x-pipe)
2. Mark's Collector Assembly - doesn't seem to be an x-pipe, but designed to make the pipes equal length.
3. Optimal Carbone - Is an x-pipe, but doesn't make all the pipes equal length.

Mark's and VooDoo look to be the less expensive options. I am leaning towards Mark's because I was happy with his headers on my 07 VMAX.

Just wanting to know which of the designs is the best for power and sound? Sound is more important to me than a few HP. One thing I don't want is a raspy sounding exhaust. I'm looking at Pipe Werx for the mufflers, so I assume they should be similar to the Vance & Hines CSONE as far as sound goes.

Any info on the different designs would be much appreciated.

Akrapovic or Carbone X pipe for STOCK mufflers....both make good power and sound better than stock.

Mark's is designed to mount up to the stock mufflers as well. Trying to fit other mufflers can be a real PITA because of the exit angle of the header ends. (applies to all cat replacements designed to use stock mufflers)

Cat replacement WITH NEW mufflers, V&H....sounds great inexpensive. However several people have had there mufflers crack after several years.

Equal length pipes don't mean much on this bike....hard to do and little if any power gains, mostly only a shift in the TQ curve.

Brocks/Hindle 4-2-1 makes the most power, sounds bad ass, may be to loud for your tastes.

Definitely recommend an ECU re-flash to match the exhaust. That will make the biggest difference in how it runs.

As far as the "raspy" sound longer mufflers will generally give you a deeper tone.

Forget about VooDoo, they are LOUD and raspy.

Akrapovic or Carbone X pipe for STOCK mufflers....both make good power and sound better than stock.

Mark's is designed to mount up to the stock mufflers as well. Trying to fit other mufflers can be a real PITA because of the exit angle of the header ends. (applies to all cat replacements designed to use stock mufflers)

Cat replacement WITH NEW mufflers, V&H....sounds great inexpensive. However several people have had there mufflers crack after several years.

Equal length pipes don't mean much on this bike....hard to do and little if any power gains, mostly only a shift in the TQ curve.

Brocks/Hindle 4-2-1 makes the most power, sounds bad ass, may be to loud for your tastes.

Definitely recommend an ECU re-flash to match the exhaust. That will make the biggest difference in how it runs.

As far as the "raspy" sound longer mufflers will generally give you a deeper tone.

Forget about VooDoo, they are LOUD and raspy.

Thanks for the info Itgoes.

Yes, reflash would be part of the plan as well. The angle of the mufflers was also a concern, I want something that more or less comes straight back rather than pointing out. Maybe I can get the V&H CAT delete/link pipes only, so I can use the mufflers of my choice. I did see a youtube video with Brock's Alien Head and thought it sounded the best out of all I have been able to listen to, I'm just more of a fan of the symmetrical dual exhaust look.

I'm just more of a fan of the symmetrical dual exhaust look.

Me too. I have the Hindle 4-2-2 which is also quite nice. Their mufflers are not cheap though so it adds up when you need 2.

Mark

Me too. I have the Hindle 4-2-2 which is also quite nice. Their mufflers are not cheap though so it adds up when you need 2.

Mark

Where did you get the Hindle 4-2-2? I looked on Brock's site and it looked like they only had the single right-side exit, unless they only showed that side. But the description didn't say 4-2-2 or 4-2-1.

Where did you get the Hindle 4-2-2? I looked on Brock's site and it looked like they only had the single right-side exit, unless they only showed that side. But the description didn't say 4-2-2 or 4-2-1.

Best place to order would be Gurued Gear. The only company I would let touch my ECU as well.

Here is a link. http://guruedgear.com/hindle-4-into-2-slip-on-system.html#.Vcvv-j-FOpo

The mufflers are purchased separately.......Hindle has many different styles/materials that will fit.

Back