Chain Drive Middle Gear Bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax_nc

Reaction score
Checking to see if anyone is having a problem on a chain drive bike with the bolt at the middle gear bearing coming loose. After about 100miles the bolt starts to get loose. I have tried red locktight and staking the bolt, but still it backs out. Any ideas on how to solve the problem. :ummm:

Thanks
Marcus

Attachments

• IMAG0336.jpg
    IMAG0336.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 66
I'd call Jon Gainey at PCW, even if you didn't buy it new from him I'm sure he'd offer you some advice on what to do about it.

Looks like they should have used a reverse threaded bolt.

How about tightening it, then put a small tack weld on it? Just something small that you could easily grind off if you needed to. Edit: bad idea.....the washer would spin off with the bolt.

Rusty, the wires are coming from the stator. Looks to me that the bolt would tighten up because it turns to the right and the shaft turns to the left. I also thought about spot welding but yea the washer would also move, that’s why when I staked the bolt it didn’t work. I used the red permatex thread locker 1st, now going to try the green 290 Loctite brand. If that don’t work then the 271 red.

Strike the green Loctite it’s for locking the threads after assembly, going with the 271 Red.

Rusty, the wires are coming from the stator. Looks to me that the bolt would tighten up because it turns to the right and the shaft turns to the left. I also thought about spot welding but yea the washer would also move, that?s why when I staked the bolt it didn?t work. I used the red permatex thread locker 1st, now going to try the green 290 Loctite brand. If that don?t work then the 271 red.

Strike the green Loctite it?s for locking the threads after assembly, going with the 271 Red.

I was referring to the wire used in a safety wire application where it would lace through a hole in that bolt and then to "something else" to keep it from unscrewing........Sorry for the misunderstanding

Curios, whats the wire attach to besides the bolt, isn't that bolt spinning???

Mine is a Cycle One Off whereas Marcus's is a PCW. Totally different design. Will have to take the middle gear cover off and see what Tom laces the safety wire to. Looking through my clear cover I can tell that they look nothing alike.

I've had good luck with Green Loctite, can't remeber the number but it's made for "slip-fit" applications, i.e. like a pulley on a shaft, think you set it with some heat???

I'll go out and check out my bikes to see if i can figure something out about your problem. I got around 30,000 miles combining both my v maxs and never had this happen and its same set up you got. Get back to ya John greenville sc.
:ummm:

That sounds good Rusty, going to try the Red Loctite 1st. if that don't work will try the green. Maybe pull the bearing out then put the Green around the shaft and push the bearing onto the shaft. Then red on the bolt.

I'll go out and check out my bikes to see if i can figure something out about your problem. I got around 30,000 miles combining both my v maxs and never had this happen and its same set up you got. Get back to ya John greenville sc.
:ummm:

sounds good John let me know.

The only thing i can think of is that the inner race is slipping. I also say pull the bearing. I have never done it but i believe it can be pulled without splitting the cases but be carefull you do not move the output shaft position if it does not want to let loose. If you got the most recent update on Jons chaindrive i know it will not move because its got a seal that helps hold it in place.

Sounds like you may be right on the shaft slipping. There is a spacer that presses into the bearing and the shaft rides inside that spacer. Going to pull it all out and have the spacer tack welded to the sprocket. That should take care of it.

Pulled out the bearing and sprocket today. The weld is broken on the spacer were its fitted to the sprocket. That?s why the bolt was working its way loose. Going to send it to John at PCW to be welded again and see why it broke.

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0362.jpg
    IMAG0362.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 38
We had that one one of the PCW chain drive bikes that came through here (and had a broken trans too). We fully welded the gear. BUT, it's hard to get good penetration when you have two different materials and tempers. We could weld it up for you too if desired. Our welder is aircraft certified (and does aircraft welding work as his day job) and I am sure will be a nice weld for you.

Pulled out the bearing and sprocket today. The weld is broken on the spacer were its fitted to the sprocket. That?s why the bolt was working its way loose. Going to send it to John at PCW to be welded again and see why it broke.

hardened steel is not suitable for welding(i'd dare to say its forbidden) - theres no any single weld in the belt/chain mod im going to show soon.

You guys might be right about the welding on that type of metal but he should be ok getting it redone. i pull high 1.30s 60 ft at drag strip and never broke the weld with nos that dynos at close to 150 ft lb. One thing for sure he is riding the shit out of it!:punk:

Back