CL Scam

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alorio1

Reaction score
Today I tried to buy a truck in the New Orleans area off CL. I have always heard of being scammed on CL but didn't ever hear how or what methods they used, well here is one of them that maybe some are aware of and maybe some of the members on here are not. Evidently this is not this guy's first scam on vehicles, trucks or cars, but keep in mind I'm supposedly dealing on a truck. Here is his reply when I told him I would like to pick up the truck tomorrow with cash in hand;

As I've previously told you my medical team will deploy back to Afghanistan. Right now I'm in a military base of Oregon National Guard. The car is here with me at the base and the delivery process will be managed by me.The estimate time of delivery is 3-4 days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the Google Checkout protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask them to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for google (full name,address where you want the car delivered and your phone number).

What was he trying to get me to do? I have never heard of Google Checkout program, can someone explain this type of scam?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ctd/3390566216.html

Last edited:
Thank for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as
advertised in the listing,i will like to add $100 to your final price
for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as
i am serious with this.I will like you to know that i am really
interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal
and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come
down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will
like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account
to send the payment,also send me your mobile number where you can be
easily reach and send me more pics of this item if available since it
will not be seen in person so i can pay it right away I am a busy at
work and do not have much time around me.Make sure you get back to me
so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be
picked at your residence,so no shipping

Thanks and reply asap.

Regards

Here is one I got when I was trying to sell my wife's bike. When you read it it never mentions the bike and in the listing I put 8 pictures and my cellphone number. He asked for them both so obviously he never saw the listing I think it's an automated response. His 1st email asked if " the item was still available". Be very careful a ton of scams out there.

It's cash only and if you really looked at my add my phone number was on there and 8 pictures.
Take your scam somewhere else asshole. Have your agent contact my agent. My agents number is
1800-eat-shit !!!!!!!
Regards
Fuck Off

This was my response. :eusa_dance: :clapping:

Yes it's a scam.

How it works:
They're using Google checkout because it's less common and they're hoping you don't know about it. They're only hoping you know that Google is a reputable company and maybe even know that they offer a Paypal style service, but have never personally used it or know anybody else that has.

1. Google checkout is a legit service and a fine alternative to Paypal.
2. They're not going to have you use Google checkout. They're going to ask you wire money to something that looks like Google checkout and hope you don't notice the difference.
3. There is no such buyer protection program via Google checkout official or otherwise.

Google checkout has no means of funding via wire transfer. There are no protections regarding wire transfer. There are no serious means of authenticating somebody on the receiving end of a wire transfer. If you fall for something like this your only recourse are federal fraud claims and a hope and a prayer it wasn't internationally transferred where jurisdiction gets sticky.

Do not wire money based on claims over the internet, phone, or mail. This is the core of most successful scams. Auto-dialing pretending to be attorneys from friends and family members, sometimes even impersonating (poorly) family members do this shit too. Most people have learned this so the scams are getting more and more phased. Presenting crap like this that ultimately asks for the wire transfer after a level of communication and small amount of trust has been established. They haven't asked to wire anything yet, but if pursued they will.

I saw those same offers before once or twice when I was looking for vehicles. I don't understand that they say they will bring it to me w/no shipping and let me test drive/ride it for 5 days THEN if I'm happy that I pay for it. How the hell are they scamming anything unless they hope for someone that says "No, That's not necessary, I trust you, and here's my PayPal address" maybe if they only respond to those people then they do. That's all I can figure. Cause they won't respond if you just answer and say "send it".

They have you wire the money to a service that is not actually the service they're claiming it is. This service has a money back guarantee (that doesn't actually exist) so it's cool.

1. You wire the money with the option to get your money back (you don't really)
2. The shipment happens (it doesn't really)
3. x days later when nothing has arrived yet you go to ask for your money back and either immediately or slowly understand you're out the money you wired and nothing will be arriving via shipment ever.

Well they will be swamped, but report it to the website and see if they can follow the trail and not accept anything from that Internet address, and maybe refer it to the fraud division of the local jurisdiction. Pretty-low priority I assume, but you need at least to do that. I've gotten them too. I just don't bother answering them because they could do some denial of service or worse, if they are sophisticated-enough.

There's also a scam out there working over people that ordered Meds. online without a prescription. Somehow these maggots got a list of people that ordered meds on line. My Bro inlaw got an e-mail saying a package was intercepted and you are instructed to call a number. When you call they say they are the D.E.A. and want a confession, and cooperation to prosecute the meds. seller. Of course all can be forgiven if you cooperate and pay a western union only fine. Well, my Bro inlaw told them his cousin, an FBI agent checked them out (not true). The guy on the phone freaked out. He started yelling "you and your cousin are dickheads" The guy settled down an admitted he's got to make a living somehow.....lol.( Now I'm blackmailing my Bro inlaw or my sister finds out-only kidding). But this is being done and they are catching people off guard using fear. It works because the people know they did something wrong and illegal. Beware of agent Mark Waller 202-280-7138. Block your number and call him if you want a good laugh. They go through a lot to sound official. My Bro inlaw is coming over to paint my house today.:rofl_200:

Steve-o

Last edited:
One here in FL is grandparents get calls from 'grandchildren' asking for $ to keep them out of more-time in jail, they're 'calling from jail,' and please cable $$ immediately. The thieves are mining facebook for victims to defraud.

My grandma got that call and she doesn't even have a computer/facebook/etc. I don't know where they're getting their info.

My grandma got that call and she doesn't even have a computer/facebook/etc. I don't know where they're getting their info.

Websites which post bio info and housing-related info (like your local property appraiser), and then the thieves do public records searches, cross-reference the phone book, and call the gullible oldsters. They know where the children live, how-old they are & etc from this, which helps to 'sell' their request to an older relative.

Got 2 more scammers today, seems CL is loaded with them with different approaches.......

Here is #1
Hello ,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my 1999 Toyota Camry with automatic transmission. It has been extremely well maintained with a full service history! Engine sounds like brand new, start fast and there are no leaks and no ticks, or noises whatsoever coming from this motor. The transmission shifts as it should, very smoothly. It goes down the road perfectly straight. You won't find another vehicle like this with lower mileage! Very smooth ride! A Camry in this condition, with these options (it's fully loaded for it's year) and this color combination is an absolute rarity! Very clean interior as you can see in the pictures... This Camry runs and drive like a dream, has ONLY 89,624 miles and the clear title is free of liens.
I have dropped my price to $1,430 (purchase price) because this is an Urgent Sale. I need to sell it before November 19th when I will be deployed to Afghanistan with my platoon replacing the troops scheduled to come home.

First of all, let me know please where are you located. I also need to know if you require a loan or the funds are already available. (I hope you don't mind me asking this, but a loan would take time, which is my main problem right now). I have already many emails and I hope you understand that I have to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interest in buying my car and have the funds available. I really don't want to waste my time with endless discussions.

The financial part will be managed by Google Checkout, which means that you will have a 5 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
If you're interested in concluding this purchase in a timely manner ( before November 19th ) just email me back and I would be glad to explain you how the entire process works...

Hope to hear from you soon,
Christine Clifford

Here is #2

the car is not listed on eBay anymore but is still available through their Vehicle Purchase
let me explain to you the process:
I've decided that the payment should be completed by using eBay security, because I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% LEGIT but you must know that this way eBay will require you to send the deposit and they will have to verify both me and the car and you as well before we can close this deal through their service.
Your money will be kept by the eBay agent until you will receive the car and send them the confirmation that you are satisfied with the product received. In case you don't want to keep the car all you will have to do is ask them for a refund and you will be totally refunded in 2 days.
REMEMBER: for the delivery I am responsible .
So if you are interested I will need your full name and delivery address as soon as possible in order to send your details to the eBay agent to make the arrangements for delivery.
Thanks
Patricia

Websites which post bio info and housing-related info (like your local property appraiser), and then the thieves do public records searches, cross-reference the phone book, and call the gullible oldsters. They know where the children live, how-old they are & etc from this, which helps to 'sell' their request to an older relative.

That makes sense. She rents though so she wouldn't even be on appraisal info. She probably does have a listed phone number but we don't even share the same last name. It's somewhat scary how much they know when they call with that stuff.

The only thing I can think of that would even make the family relation would be like 10 years ago my mom got into a car accident while driving my grandma's car. I imagine there was something in the police report identifying the relationship, and if I recall all that sort of info is public to those who care to look for it.

Back