Clutch engagement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gally

Reaction score
Just went to start up the Max this morning to go for a "mind clearing"ride after 2 months of sitting in the garage MAx wouldnt start. Im a little bumbed about that but will start checking things out.

What has me puzzled is the Clutch doesnt seem to be engaging when I pull the lever? Neutral...bike rocks smoothly....click to 1st....bike feels compression as expected......pull clutch lever....still compression as if the clutch is not engaging. Lots of pressure at the lever...

Do you think its a line problem? or could it be something bigger....its a '92.:ummm:

I know the clutch plates will stick if they sit for a while, but it clears up as soon as you start riding. This is probably what you are feeling through the lever.

Hopefully that swhat it is ...thanks. Battery is toast so when I get a new one dropped in I can give it a run.

Question: Can I just drop a new stock battery in the bike, or do I have to buy a charger and charge it up firts?:confused2:

Hopefully that swhat it is ...thanks. Battery is toast so when I get a new one dropped in I can give it a run.

Question: Can I just drop a new stock battery in the bike, or do I have to buy a charger and charge it up firts?:confused2:

It depends on where you buy the battery. some I've bought I had to add the acid mix into the battery and then charge it, others I could use straight out of the box. The vendor you buy it from should tell you what you have to do before you can use it.

Sounds like the slave cylinder is binding up.

Has it ever been reconditioned or replaced?

If not, my money is on deteriorated o-rings on the slave cylinder piston combined with about 16 years worth of gunk preventing the slave from moving. If that's what it is, get a kit for the clutch master as well.

I always charge a new battery regardless of type. Just precautionary. On the ones you add the acid, follow the instructions to the letter and it will last a lot longer.

Back