clutch problem thoughts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royston

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just wonderin if I can collect a few thoughts before I do next action....I have a problem clutch which only seems to occur when the bike is hot and I have been on a run say over an hours or so, problem is disengaging from first when coming to stop, it seems stuck in so bad I have to give the lever a fair old tug then play shifty me fella going between first and second trying to find neutral....problem has become such a PIA that i find it simpler to kick the side stand down turn the ignition off at which point it moves into neutral "simples".
I drained the clutch fluid fully and I mean a proper drain, to be fair clutch feels a bit smoother maybe lighter but no end to the basic problem.
I do have a bit of drag in the clutch which is making me think of the plates but I am not sure what to attack next, slave cyl or open up the basket??? BTW clutch should be good nick as the max is a 2006 7k miler...
Cheers Guys
R:ummm:

You have symptoms of air still in hydraulic lines, I would bleed system again starting at the master banjo bolt and work down to the slave......

You have symptoms of air still in hydraulic lines, I would bleed system again starting at the master banjo bolt and work down to the slave......
yep as I thought with the initial problem but did the drain as you suggest and still same problem, i did wonder if the seal on the slave might be letting a bit of air back in but figured that might show itself at all temps and not just hot. I also have braided cables fitted so its not like any of the pressre is being lost in the lines etc....
have you ever heard of a salve piston/ seal problem on a bike with this low miles, personally wouldnt have expected it, that said i have not checked yet...
Cheers
R

You should have two washers on the banjo bolt fitting , one at the master and the other between bolt and line. My theory is the hotter the system gets while riding the larger the air bulble gets, making disengagement of clutch more evident. Masters can go at any time in my opinion, I would think age has more to do with failure than milage. Have you had the clutch apart , did you have a clutch slippage problem ever ? Somtimes in extreme clutch slippage and it would have to get extremely bad you could have a steel plate warped.

Now might be a good time to invest in a Mighty vac , a lot of members on here swear by them. Its good for brake system also.

Read this post , it may help on trouble shooting your problem .......

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11979
Thats great Thanks - I did do a bleed with a vac so felt confident of good result but reading that thread seems so similar to probs I am having. Going to try a slave rebuild when I have time in a week or two and i'll report result back in here...
Thanks again
R

What type and viscosity of oil are you running? If the bike doesn't want to drag/pull you forward when in gear, then I would think its not your master/slave. I know that different oils will work fine, but some make neutral hard to find.

Back