Coating Gas Tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtieGirtie

Reaction score
Hi gang - I'm about to take the gas tank out of my 2002 Vmax, treat it for the light rust, and coat it with Por-15. I've done several tanks and never had an issue, but I remember someone on here who accidently plugged one of the lines in the tank. It looks like there are two lines coming off the tank; do they just go right inside the tank or do they continue as metal tubes for a few inches inside the tank? How would you prevent plugging them when coating the tank? My thought is to maybe use a pipe cleaner... put the pipe cleaner in the tube so it sticks out on the inside, apply coating, allow coating to just start to cure and then pull the pipe cleaner out? Any other thoughts?

The vent is what you have to worry about getting plugged. You can run some very thin wire thru it or keep it in it while coating. I have personally had no problems with the inlet getting clogged

but I follow directions to a tee when coating tanks . I have been doing it for years and the main problem is people getting anxious and get in a hurry and not following directions. With that said POR15 or KBS Is the only products I will use.

The fuel pick-up goes all the way to the bottom. I just blew air into both of the tubes until the coating had set. Don't forget to remove the reserve fuel sender.

Back