Cold start problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Rider

Reaction score
It's me again :thumbs up:

Have some problems with cold starts for last two weeks or so. Everytime I try to start my bike in the morning (no matter whether it's cold or warm outsude) I need to try 2 to 3 times before my bike fires up. There's one more strange thing - choke. Previously engine was revving up straight away when the choke was on during firing up. Now when I fire up my Max with choke fully on, engine starts on the low revvs and it takes 30sec or a minute for the engine to revv up. I can't ride at this stage as I have a lot of backfiring and some strange sound from the carbs. It's like something inside the carbs 'shots'. It's hard to describe but it's like some vacuum pressure inside the carbs sucking in or out the sliders or bowls. I don't know :ummm: It's kind of a 'pop' inside the carbs when I try to revv it up. On the top of this engine sounds like it starts on 3 cylinders.

When engine warms up everything is gone and it runs perfectly. I thought it might be something with HT leads but I replaced them last week and it's still the same. Carbs are ballanced, new oil, new HT leads, plugs were replaced 3k miles ago, air filter is clean. What could it be? It started next morning after dyno run but I doubt it has anything to do with it.

Any ideas :ummm:

One thing that I would recommend is putting the bike on a trickle charger at night.Wire a pigtail right to the battery so it is easy to just plug the charger in when you get back from riding.

These bike are notorious for being cold blooded!

One thing that I would recommend is putting the bike on a trickle charger at night.Wire a pigtail right to the battery so it is easy to just plug the charger in when you get back from riding.

These bike are notorious for being cold blooded!

Thanks shawn but I have no garage and all I could do is take battery home... But battery seems to be fine. It's just when the bike starts - it chokes, back fires and doesn't want to revv up on the choke for first minute. When it warms up everything's fine... :bang head:

Thanks shawn but I have no garage and all I could do is take battery home... But battery seems to be fine. It's just when the bike starts - it chokes, back fires and doesn't want to revv up on the choke for first minute. When it warms up everything's fine... :bang head:

Are you sure that all the choke plungers are opening & closing? One of mine dried out and got stuck every now and again.

PS: We should get a few Irish VMaxes together in the coming months for a Dyno-day
:rocket bike:

Are you sure that all the choke plungers are opening & closing? One of mine dried out and got stuck every now and again.

PS: We should get a few Irish VMaxes together in the coming months for a Dyno-day
:rocket bike:

John - thanks a million for your suggestion :punk: Problem solved! You won't belive it...

Sick engaging choke on the right hand side carbs fell off the lever and choke was engaging only 2 carburators on the left hand side Foook me... I put it up again and bike fires up straight away and goes on the high revvs with choke engaged :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Thanks John :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

BTW - when & where you want to run this Dyno day??? DLM??? :thumbs up:

BTW - when & where you want to run this Dyno day??? DLM??? :thumbs up:

I was onto irishger (I think he's hiding in the shadows here too) and he was on about some dyno in Dublin, might be DLM :ummm: we'll have to pick a time that we can all make

Anyhow, I need some fine tuning at the top end and... well... he wants to see whos is bigger :biglaugh:

I was onto irishger (I think he's hiding in the shadows here too) and he was on about some dyno in Dublin, might be DLM :ummm: we'll have to pick a time that we can all make

Anyhow, I need some fine tuning at the top end and... well... he wants to see whos is bigger :biglaugh:

PM sent :thumbs up:

Back