Diff Powder Coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbul

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm or deny that it will be ok to have the left side (exposed part only) of the differential Power Coated with the final drive gear portion of the assembly in place? I have removed everything else. See Image and thank you for your feedback in advance.

Attachments

• DiffDis.jpg
    DiffDis.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 69
I can't say for sure. There is an oil seal behind gear coupling and the retaining nut has a o-ring on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Right On.

Can someone suggest a method for keeping the final drive from rotating to remove the nut (without the final drive holder)? It looks as though that would allow me to remove the seal and o-ring. Then could I leave the bearing retainer and everything behind it in place safely (I don't see anymore rubber pieces)?

You need to make a tool to hold the diff. My tool is a flat sheet of aluminum with the hole for socket access and 4 holes for the mounting flange studs to protrude through. You need to remove everything except the small bearing under the pinion tip. That is ideal to remove but not an easy task. It will need to be completely cleaned though to prevent getting gummed up. Coating on the outside only and don't let any on the mating flange where the ring gear bolts up or the shim stack will be off.

I used a pair of Vise Grip chain locking pliers to hold it while using an impact wrench to remove nut. If I recall there is another retaining nut to be remove once that's off. Requires a special tool. Made mine out of a piece of steel pipe cut to fit.

Sean is correct...everything but the little roller bearing needs to come out...but it can be done!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 50
Well my cheap little bench vise didn't care for your method.

Time to up the game

Attachments

• Broken Vise.jpg
    Broken Vise.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 48
The lock nut with the 4 slots under the splined sleeve is left thread so you know

Ahh. new and improved toys. Got a proper vise and impact and PRESTO. Now to fab the retainer wrench. Thanks for the support here guys. Its a whole lot easier with experienced advice.

Attachments

• Diff Nut Off.jpg
    Diff Nut Off.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 32
Done!

Just spent a good bit of time flushing the bearing, there was definitely some sand in there. Ready to get it back on the bike with my braced arm and R1 brake set-up.

Attachments

• Diff and Arm PCd.jpg
    Diff and Arm PCd.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
It's a PITA, but well worth it in the long run...those parts will look like new for 10+ years!

Enjoy!

Back