DOA Need Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betts

Reaction score
Some back ground on the bike

About a year ago I picked up an 85 max for a project. I thought I had a fairly easy project, basically just putt the bike back together and away we go. The bike sat for 10 years and some parts went missing as it was takin apart before storage. Thanks to the kind people on this forum I found most of the missing parts.

Now I can't get the bike to turn over. I can the starter relay and it will crank. But no spark. Thinking about swapping out the cdi, but need to know if one from other years will work, and which years. I have been through the trouble shooting stuff in the manual, and didn't get any results

Betts

ya there was a short bit on that in the manual, starting to think its just not gonna happen

is it possible to swap out the entire harness and cdi with a newer year?

there are a few other electrical items that have to be swapped out too.

Sean

Have you checked the fuses? There's been a couple of times when I've been working on mine. Then thought oh shit, I screwed something up, only to realize I popped a fuse.

yep i check the fuses

i went through the trouble shooting section of the manual

i can get it to turn over if i jump it with a screwdriver, but if i use the start button the lights just dim and thats it

sean- i may just have to go try swaping parts out, are the 85 -89 cdi really in short supply?

not following what you mean with swaping out the pick coil

yep i check the fuses

i went through the trouble shooting section of the manual

i can get it to turn over if i jump it with a screwdriver, but if i use the start button the lights just dim and thats it

sean- i may just have to go try swaping parts out, are the 85 -89 cdi really in short supply?

not following what you mean with swaping out the pick coil

You should read this thread http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11120
His was doing the same thing and it was the starter button.

tried the start switch
checked the nutral switch
checke sidestand switch
when i jump it with it with a screwdriver i don't get any spark.

i didn't open the kill switch yet
i didn't look at the relays under the left scoop, yet.

i have electical problems!

Back