drag bike...is this the right platform?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbutera2112

Reaction score
ide like to put my 97 max into the low low 9s...is this a good platform to start with? im a bigger guy, and just cant see myself on a busa or anything...

what are my options for forced induction? supercharger, turbo?

i dont really want to spray the bike because people at the track with sprayed bikes are always bitching about flat spots in the power band...im not opposed to spray, i just want consistency

would i need a big tire kit? is there one that doesnt cost 7k like the mammoth kit? im not opposed to switching to a chain drive and running a longer swing arm

what about engine work? how much power will a stock engine hold before blowing up? what are my options as far as beefing up the engine so it will hold

what can i do as far as suspension do help keep the front end down? the bike pulls the tire all the way through 3rd, not even hammering it....i imagine at the track its going to be a bitch to keep it on the ground

basically ive got a stock max with kerker slip ons, and i wanna make it run with these busa fools at the local 1/4 mile strip

show them what a cruiser can do

am i using the wrong platform for this? ive heard these bikes run low 11s high 10s stock...so 9s shouldnt be too far outta the question with some forced induction and suspension/tires

also.... would it be money better spent to go with a gen 2 max instead?

Well, there are a lot of things you can do. 9's does take more work then you would initially think. I do have a very beefed up 1500 longrod chaindrive engine and even a drag bike Chassis I would sell you to save you a ton of money and time. The engine ran 8.30's @ 160 in a different chassis then I have (and on nitrous - easy 9's on motor only). If you are interested shoot me an email. I would even consider giving a trade in credit on your bike but this new one would not be comfortable on the road with it's hard tail chassis.

The engine alone would normally cost over $10k to build. You can have the whole mess (chassis with 7" slick setup), chaindrive, almost enough to build the complete bike, for less then that. You may need some cosmetic stuff to complete it.

I do have other options too like a 1500 engine that is shaft drive. It was making 165 at the rear wheel and I think there was more in it with the right exhaust. It may not be enough to get it into the 9's though without a slick and bar. I do have a 1570 chaindrive block that can be built into a fire breather but again you need to bring a bunch of money to go from scratch.

I have seen mid 9's from a 1261 engine and a lot of boost. The turbo kits and engine build are again expensive but much more opportunity.

You can get into the 9's much easier with a busa or other sportbike but it's just not the same lol.

On a side note: I have seriously considered selling my big tired chaindrive dragbike. It's pretty much complete but I could use the funds for other projects. It may have hurt the engine during the last dyno session but I have not taken it out or apart to check. It's alcohol mechincal fuel injected and when running right sounds downright mean.

Sean

That will take quite a bit of $ dedication to get it into the low 9s. You might want to consider starting with a Gen 2 VMax for those numbers.

From what I have seen and heard......

The 1st gen Vmax responds well to a pipe and carb tuning.......

After that the Law of Diminishing Returns hits very quickly......

Every horsepower gained will cost exponentially more and more money.....

The relatively stock Vmax works great on the street.......

But I am sure there are better starting platforms for a full on drag bike.....

$0.02 deposited

It all really comes down to how much $$$$ you want to spend. You can spend a bunch and get a Gen 1 going quite well. I currently have $35-40k Cdn into my Max and still have tuning to go. Am going to hit the track a bit this Spring and tune it in so I can post some numbers here.

My 2 cents... Take a look at these sites DRAGBIKE CLASSIFIEDS or RACINGJUNK. You can buy a turn key drag bike for about 5 or 6 K that will go mid 8's. if you want to go fast. You will spend that kind of money on your max and not even run 9.5. If your not a machinist the VMAX is not a good drag bike platform.

There aren't very many go fast parts available at reasonable prices. The two biggest drawbacks being that it is a shaft drive (can't change the gearing easily) and the odd fire engine. The only aftermarket ignition for the max is the DYNA 3000 and as far as I'm concerned it's not that big of an improvement over stock. Put a Kerker on your bike and make it look mean and enjoy it in street trim. Best bang for your buck.

If you just want to run low 11's and take home some money it's a good bracket bike as it is. Put a kill tether on it and go have some fun!

Latest posts

Back