drag racing the vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMX_Bartlett

Reaction score
Just bought my 2000 in the begining of september of last year and almost 2000 miles on it before thanksgiving when I put it away for the winter and looking into trying drag racing the bike...just for kicks there are a couple drag strips in close to my area. Im looking into good upgrades for the suspension at first and then the motor and to make it handle much better as a daily rider as well as quarter mile fun... I need some ideas. Im obivously new to the forum and hope to gain for information and insite from others.

Welcome to the forum! This place has lots of good info! I'm trying to learn how to drag race this heavy motorcycle too. If you want down and dirty (and cheap) I would get a $20 strap to lower the front end (strap down your forks from the rotors up and over the lower triple and back down to the other rotor), maybe do the "double d" clutch modification (you can do a quick search on the forum for this mod), and then get a sticky rear tire (shinkos seem to be pretty good from most who have tried it). You can do some carb work (Morley's muscle kit - you can click on the advertisement banner when it come up at the top of the page) and that will give you more ponies as well as a full exahust system. After that, you can get a nitrous kit, turbo, supercharger, big-bore engine, chain drive, rear slick, wheelie bars, and the list goes on!

I don't think I could trust a strap on my forks.. I'm looking progrssive lowering springs and shocks. As well as the Tboost mod.. I hope to get all together before the riding season starts..

I don't think I could trust a strap on my forks.. I'm looking progrssive lowering springs and shocks. As well as the Tboost mod.. I hope to get all together before the riding season starts..

A strap designed for drag racing or equivalent is more then safe. As far as the Tboost, the only thing that it will help you with is by turning the Vboost off while riding to get a little better fuel milage, but for a performance stand point its just another Vmax toy.

Weekend road warrior drag racers have been using straps on there forks for years.
Ive ran my VMAX strapped down on the street and strip over 3 yrs on the same strap with no fraying.
If your wanting to drag race your VMAX strapping your front end down will lower your ET and make it easier to launch. Progressive springs are great for preventing nose dives during hard braking on the street but WONT help at the drag strip
Save your money with the T-Boost you wont pick up any ET at the track nor HP.

Oh I was thinking a different type of strap,how does straping your forks improve ETsm Lower 11.5 rear shocks should help with help with weight transfer and I was thinking on picking up a addition rear wheel to mount a slick just to switch out before I take it to the strip.

You pull the front forks down as far as possible making it harder to wheelie and more airodynamic.

You pull the front forks down as far as possible making it harder to wheelie and more airodynamic.

Start racing your Max and you will soon figure out how easily one can be flipped leaving the line. I have nearly flipped a couple dozen times.

Letting off then getting into it again kills your ET badly too!

For every inch you lower a no bar bike roughly gains you .1 in the 1/4. This ofcourse assumes you are getting the most from the wheelbase/height capability already. Prolly 95% of riders are not getting the most from the setup they already have. Just because one wheelies does not mean they have reached the maximum and used all their bike has to offer. There many other factors involved.
As for a strap, another BIG benifit is that it acts as a steering damper when the front is strapped down. Though with the wheelbase and rake of the V-max, a steering damper is not as important as it is on the short racer-replicas.

Just bought my 2000 in the begining of september of last year and almost 2000 miles on it before thanksgiving when I put it away for the winter and looking into trying drag racing the bike...just for kicks there are a couple drag strips in close to my area. Im looking into good upgrades for the suspension at first and then the motor and to make it handle much better as a daily rider as well as quarter mile fun... I need some ideas. Im obivously new to the forum and hope to gain for information and insite from others.

Jerk the front end down with strap designed to bolt using the caliper bolt.Full header pipe and jet it,T boost waist of time,you got to master launching the bike at 6500 at the v boost .If you got to launch at 3500 because of spinning or wheeling you are doing something wrong! Mount a kill switch for your head light as well to get more volts and less hp being robbed from elctrical system.before you run it grab a small screw driver and wedge the back brack pad so it is all way off rotor,make sure you do not hit back braks while at strip rest of time,it robs power and rolling resistance.You can also mock you up some brke line pieces to drop one front caliper while at strip.Got to love it figuring out how to go fast! JOHN USMC

Thanks a lot for the insite... Still planning on doing the suspension work to start, its a few months before I will get out of storage and once I can get out to the test and tunes at the local strips, I can get the hang of lauching the bike.

Launching a VMAX is probably one of the easiest bikes to launch in STOCK trim.... Check out some of my time slips I posted from the spring of 2008 consistently in the 1.5 60ft times track depending...
I dont have nothing done to my suspension except for the front end strapped down with a good qaulity strap around the brake mount stud picture in the thread I posted..
I have a modified 15 oem rim that will accept a 15X6 car slick. I have no use for it anymore since they wont let me run a NON DOT tire in street class to many babies whined at track "Thats not a DOT tire"

I would recommend learning with the Shinko Tourmaster 170-80-15 before moving to a no wheelie bar slick on a VMAX... a street tire is a little more forgiving then a slick on a prepped dragstrip when you get to quick with the clutch release. If your on a good track you can 60ft 1.55's with the shinko and you will see a 1.53..(dont expect these 60ft times if you are just learning,, you should see solid 1.65's to 1.70's:worthy: with the slick with an improved MPH of .5 - 1 since the slick is taller and the stock internal VMAX engine works better with taller tire.

Launch RPM 5500 to WOT on the clutch release IF the track can take it.

Launching a VMAX is probably one of the easiest bikes to launch in STOCK trim.... Check out some of my time slips I posted from the spring of 2008 consistently in the 1.5 60ft times track depending...
I dont have nothing done to my suspension except for the front end strapped down with a good qaulity strap around the brake mount stud picture in the thread I posted..
I have a modified 15 oem rim that will accept a 15X6 car slick. I have no use for it anymore since they wont let me run a NON DOT tire in street class to many babies whined at track "Thats not a DOT tire"

I would recommend learning with the Shinko Tourmaster 170-80-15 before moving to a no wheelie bar slick on a VMAX... a street tire is a little more forgiving then a slick on a prepped dragstrip when you get to quick with the clutch release. If your on a good track you can 60ft 1.55's with the shinko and you will see a 1.53..(dont expect these 60ft times if you are just learning,, you should see solid 1.65's to 1.70's:worthy: with the slick with an improved MPH of .5 - 1 since the slick is taller and the stock internal VMAX engine works better with taller tire.

Launch RPM 5500 to WOT on the clutch release IF the track can take it.

Ohh as the previous posted posted,,, dont worry about all the wiring and installing a switch to kill the headlight,, just pull the top fuse in your fuse block

Back