dyno'd the beast today....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast Freddy

Reaction score
my 2009 Vmax has 18,500 miles on it and the wider wheel from Star with a 240 mm Pirelli Diablo tire on it :th_2fc2c5a5:it dyno'd 181 rwhp and 115 rwtq with the cats removed, K&N air filter and power commander tune on 91 octane :git:

Attachments

• vmax - 71 sharpened.jpg
    vmax - 71 sharpened.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Fast Freddy.jpg
    Fast Freddy.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 102
  • V-Max 240.jpg
    V-Max 240.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 86
Fast Freddy, very nice bike and VERY nice dyno numbers. Oh, and that's one monster looking 240 tyre there on the back ! :punk: Congrats !

Nice!:clapping: is it enough yet?:ummm: did you dyno it stock?:ummm: Im going to do mine in the spring after break in , just to get a base line before I start modding it.:clapping:

^^^^ - gonna take it to the drag strip this year and find out :th_rockon: the 240 tire out back puts alot or rubber to the ground and is pretty sticky. i think it can handle a 50 shot of nitrous in 2nd gear :rocket bike:

Nice! Very smooth graph too.....who's cat eliminator are you running?

^^^^ - the cat eliminator is a custom build here locally in Tucson. it has the same diameter as the stock header with mandrel bends and an H-pipe on the rear two cylinders similar to the front two cylinders....

Those #'s are virtually identical the the #'s my wife's Gen II got in Topeka last summer during Sean's event. It, too, has the 240 rear, cat eliminator. Big air kit and 4 into 2 tailgunner exhaust setups. Though I'd point out that the a/f map was extremely out of whack at the time and the bike didn't like to run anywhere in the midrange w/o coughing and/or backfiring. I've since gotten the PCV mapping much smoother, and don't have a clue what affect that might have on overall dyno #'s.

I'd really like to talk her into sending her ECU to get the Nash flash done and see the new dyno results after it. Alas, she is kind of turned off at the cost of the flash and really isn't interested in any ball's out sort of riding where it would benefit.

^^^^ - gonna take it to the drag strip this year and find out :th_rockon: the 240 tire out back puts alot or rubber to the ground and is pretty sticky. i think it can handle a 50 shot of nitrous in 2nd gear :rocket bike:

I still have a little issues with wheelies in 2nd, another 50 will cause you headaches.... good ones, but headaches.....

Those #'s are virtually identical the the #'s my wife's Gen II got in Topeka last summer during Sean's event. It, too, has the 240 rear, cat eliminator. Big air kit and 4 into 2 tailgunner exhaust setups. Though I'd point out that the a/f map was extremely out of whack at the time and the bike didn't like to run anywhere in the midrange w/o coughing and/or backfiring. I've since gotten the PCV mapping much smoother, and don't have a clue what affect that might have on overall dyno #'s.

I'd really like to talk her into sending her ECU to get the Nash flash done and see the new dyno results after it. Alas, she is kind of turned off at the cost of the flash and really isn't interested in any ball's out sort of riding where it would benefit.

i got the race ecu from star that eliminates the top speed governor too. does that alter the performance of the bike in any other way such as the A/F ratio or spark timing, etc :ummm:

as you can see from my dyno sheet the A/F ratio is right on the money and was tuned via the power commander V that i have on the bike as well....

Yes, it does a tad bit of afr tuning, but not much... I would HIGHLY suggest you do the Nash Flash From Tim Nash. It does way more than the race ECU, He mods the butterflies in 1st 2nd and 3rd opening positions (up to 20% + more HP in 1st gear alone), plus much much more mapping. I have raced several pcv'd after market exhaust, no cat Gen II's and it is no comparison at all in the first three gears. On the street I can light the tire up in second (and first obviously) at any rpm and a tad in third. By far the best money spent on the Gen II thus far.... And I have spent ALOT!!!!

You really can't compare numbers from 2 different dynos (although everybody likes too) :) They can easily be off 5% or so. You also have to make sure that you are comparing to the same standard......Fred's numbers are SAE which is readily accepted as the most reliable, because it is adjusted for weather conditions.

If you were both on the same dyno.....I would expect your wifes bike to make maybe 4 - 6 HP more with the Monster Air Kit .....on the top end. It will be down on power though between 3 k rpm to around 6.5 K rpm, because of the elimination of the air-box and adjustable velocity stacks.

That probably was the initial problem you were seeing in the midrange as the fueling in that area is completely different with the Monster Air installed.

Mark

You really can't compare numbers from 2 different dynos (although everybody likes too) :) They can easily be off 5% or so. You also have to make sure that you are comparing to the same standard......Fred's numbers are SAE which is readily accepted as the most reliable, because it is adjusted for weather conditions.

If you were both on the same dyno.....I would expect your wifes bike to make maybe 4 - 6 HP more with the Monster Air Kit .....on the top end. It will be down on power though between 3 k rpm to around 6.5 K rpm, because of the elimination of the air-box and adjustable velocity stacks.

That probably was the initial problem you were seeing in the midrange as the fueling in that area is completely different with the Monster Air installed.

Mark

Can't seem to find the pic of her dyno run on this computer, but I looked at the actual sheet at home this morning. It was done on a Dynojet dyno. The one at the Hardly Davidson shop Sean Morely rents for the all day Vmax dyno day event he sponsors each year. Guess I'll learn to pay closer attention to all the diff details if/when I ever get a GenII under me fulltime. Like I said before, we got most all the air/fuel bugs worked out of the bike to give her a smooth ride, and that seems to be all that she desires. I wasn't dissing anyones' dyno numbers when I posted......only putting forth this bikes' numbers to relate.

The dyno we use in Topeka tends to read a tad on the low side compared to others we've put the same bikes on. Of course the conversion factors for temp, humidity, elevation (baro pressure), is supposed to make them all read the same.

Typically we use the Smoothing #5 setting on the machine. Then sensors in the enclosed and air conditioned dyno room make all the inputs automatically (so no input error by the user). Keep in mind the room still gets to mid 90's or higher when running it full tilt (lots of heat these bikes put off).

Another thing to keep in mind is we pull until the bike peaks out. I don't mean rpm's but number of pulls. The 3rd pull that a lot of places like to use is rarely the best run. They make more power the hotter you get the combustion chamber. Typically the best run is somewhere in the 7-8th pull though we have seen as many as 10-12 pulls until power quits climbing.

Another thing we do is always set tire pressure. 40PSI for rear tire testing. By eliminating as many variables as possible we can retest and be fairly confident that we are seeing numbers that are meaningful. The biggest part of the tool is the A/F mix the sniffer reads.

The dyno uses a 5 wire 02 sensor if I remember correctly with an air pump and dryer to pull the exhaust out of the collector to get an accurate reading. Then we make the adjustments needed to get the sweet spot (12.7-13.3 AFR). Then whatever the HP is doesn't matter. The bike is tuned at that point.

I could complicate it even more for you and start talking about the loading feature of the dyno so that part throttles and "cruise" rpm's can be properly tested and make the adjustments as well. This is primarily used for the EFI bikes like Jim's (Hers LOL) gen 2.

Sean

It can indeed. In fact it takes a 60 shot ok - with a PCV the injectors are 82% on the duty cycle so I suspect the limiting factor would be the fuel pump.

What's your experience?

Latest posts

Back