Easiest way to put it on the center stand

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Easiest way to put it on the centrestand

It's more technique then muscle for sure, I'm not a big guy at all 5. 7" 165 lbs with less muscle tone then a canned ham lol.I push down with my right foot on the stand like I'm trying to push it through the concrete as I lift the back with my right hand,all in one smooth motion. I couldn't do it for a long time until someone showed me.

pushing down on the center stand is where you gain the leverage you need not trying to pick up the back of the motorcycle with you hand. also when you take the bike off the stand allways be seating on the bike if your standing beside it and rocks away from you its going down.
+2 it's the pushing down that makes the difference. I stand to the side push down with my right foot as hard as I can and pull the bike back by the bars and it goes up every time. Also I totally agree that sitting on the bike is the only way get it down

:bike1:

my wifes bike has been lowered 1inch so it is tough. However like a wheely it's not that hard once you learn how.
easiest way is to stand on the side. left had on handlebars right hand on grabrail. slowly roll the bike backwords then just as it moves abit just, with your right foot stand on the centerstand and pull up. Works every time. easy.
Michael hansen

lots of guys have taken the center stand off but I use mine all the time. It's a little more effort but I just never am easy about trusting the side stand. Only on perfectly flat hard surface do I use the side stand and even then I don't like the feeling of layin the bike over on it's side lol just me :)

It's a little more effort but I just never am easy about trusting the side stand. Only on perfectly flat hard surface do I use the side stand and even then I don't like the feeling of layin the bike over on it's side lol just me :) <!-- / message -->

I'm with you on this one. Although I hate the looks of the center stand lever sticking out of the side, I use it way too often to take it off. As previously mentioned...it's more about technique.

Huh, never even considered doing it from the side. I'll have to try that sometime. This is how I do it. Granted, I'm 6'2" and 220#, so it's probably a little easier for me. Straddle the bike as though riding it. Both hands on the handle bars, right hand guarding the front brake. Gently press the center stand down with your left foot, while maintaining good contact with the ground with the right foot. When both center stand contact points are touching, the bike is upright. Now shove down hard with your left foot to raise the bike. Clamp the front brake as soon as you stop moving down. Now do it again, releasing the brake right as you stomp down on the center stand. Bike should rock right up.

It'll take you a couple tries to get it. But once you figure out the timing, it goes up real easy. It'd probably be handy to have a sturdy friend help you the first time to make sure the bike doesn't tip over.

I have to agree, my Max is lowered 1.5 inches, rolling the bike onto a simple 2x4 "it pops up with ease". "It's all in the foot pressing on the center stand,and being certain the center stand feet are flat on the ground. I weigh 150 top's,and it's no big deal.

I'm 67 years old so I invented a easy, safe method. I cut a 45 degree angle in a 2x6 about two feet long. Place the board behind the rear tire. Then sit on the bike and roll the bike onto the board (leave room for the next step!). Then I put one foot on the center stand lever and gently roll back.
The board can be easily removed by lifting up on the rear of the bike slightly and kicking it out.

I'm 67 years old so I invented a easy, safe method. I cut a 45 degree angle in a 2x6 about two feet long. Place the board behind the rear tire. Then sit on the bike and roll the bike onto the board (leave room for the next step!). Then I put one foot on the center stand lever and gently roll back.
The board can be easily removed by lifting up on the rear of the bike slightly and kicking it out.

That's how I do it !!!

Mine is a bit tougher now that the front end got lowered an inch, but my technique still works fine...stand with your back to the bike, one foot on the stand, left hand on the grab bar, right hand on the left grip. Try to "pull apart" the bike by shoving down with your foot and lifting up with your hand....for me it usually rolls right up without any problem.

I like to carry a kickstand puck on the bike...for me it's just a small square of plywood that lives with the toolkit under the passenger seat. Whenever it's parked on dirt or hot asphalt I just slip it under.

LOL! I weigh in at 127 lbs and I have no problem! Well, ok, that is just for 1/2 of me but I'm only putting one foot on the lifting bar......:confused2:
I was also going to say to start doing curls with your right arm to bulk up then you could lift it up like I do...but I'd be misrepresenting the true fact. Realistically I think that my right foot and gravity do most of the work!:biglaugh:

I weigh 145 lbs, have decent upper body strength and have a hell of a time getting my Max on the center stand. I thought it was just my bike. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I'll give it a try with the right foot. Maybe I'm wrong, but the center stand spring seems to be too stiff, at least on my bike anyway.

Guess I'm in the minority. I weigh 200 lbs and I'm 6' 2". But, I also have an extremely Bad Back. My front end is lowered 1" also.. I get the bike setting level on the 2 stand feet, pull up on the Sissy Bar rails with my right hand and push down on the stand arm / bar with my right foot. It's a strain but it pops right up...

Mine has since been lowered 1" internally in the forks, and slid up the trees 3/4".

I can still roll it up no problem. Back to the bike, left foot on the stand pedal, left hand on the grab bar, right hand on the left handlebar. Try to "pull apart", as in lift the grab bar and shove down on the pedal while pulling back on the handlebar. Rolls up easy as can be.

Man I'm glad I read this thread! My bike has been lowered 2" and the previous owner had removed the center stand but gave it to me along with the two bolts when I bought it. A couple of weeks ago I bolted the center stand on to lift the bike and adjust the steering head bearing. I'm 6'2" ,200 lbs and I've popped a few bikes up on the center stand through the years but I had to end up getting my son to help me. The board trick under the rear wheel sounds like the ticket next time.
Mike

I know about shortening the side stand, but has anyone looked into shortening the center stand on a lowered Max. I searched & didn't see anything. I would look into this, but I have a Kerker so no center stand.

Ok, I'm new to the site and to the Max, but let me tell you what I did to get the confidence to attack the center stand issue. I simply went to YouTube and saw a relatively small guy put a Goldwing up on its center stand. Watch that video 5 times and you will "see" how it's done. After watching the video I went out to the Max (in my slippers) and threw it up no problem. It is all technique, nothing more. Learn the trick and you're done. Don't have the link, just search center stand and you'll find it. Hope this helps...

... a relatively small guy put a Goldwing up on its center stand ... It is all technique, nothing more ... .

Hmmm ... I should have done that before removing my center stand! It wasn't an issue before lowering the bike, but once lowered, I couldn't get that sucker on the center stand to save my life.

Oh well. C'est la vie!

Hmmm ... I should have done that before removing my center stand! It wasn't an issue before lowering the bike, but once lowered, I couldn't get that sucker on the center stand to save my life.

Oh well. C'est la vie!

My '05 is lowered internally 1" up front and I have no problem getting mine up on the center stand. I weigh 200# and all I do is right foot on center stand, right hand on side grab rail, bike in neutral, left hand on left handle grip....just rolls right up for me with a little pulling of it backwards....

Back