ECU reflash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
for those that have done the re-flash, is it worth it? Is it noticeable on the streets or mostly on the track? I do enjoy racing to the next stop light but not dragging. To avoid jail, I rarely will redline the bike since that would likely see you in the triple digits in short time. so with that said how much of the new map is going to get used.

I can't speak on the Gen 2 Vmax. But on other flashes, it eliminates things like rev limit, speed limit etc. Those are the cheaper flashes. More expensive flashes usually adjust fuel and timing and things of that nature. Or address certain areas of concern.

I am sure itgoes will give you some info. He has experience with it I believe.

In alot of sense, unless there is a major issue with a bike, I ve found alot of "flashes" or "tunes" to not really be worth the money. Upwards of $400-600 for powder comanders or flashes, unless your going to try and get every last .10 of a second out of the bike drag racing, then its alot of money to spend for very little return.

Exhaust systems on bikes now a days don't seem to add to much power to bikes. But change the sound. So it turns into a cosmetic and sound thing. Flashes are different, but I think alot of the same idea is behind it. Will you notice a full second reduction in your 1/4 mile time..... nope. You might notice nothing. But it might run a little smoother.

Just a few thoughts.

Case in point on some of the latest flashes for the ZX14. They were able to remove a factory safety program in the stock ECU that limited power in the 1st three gears. A third gear pull has shown on numerous occassions to pull as much as 27 hp more than stock. Not peak power, but in the mid range. Averages are around 20-22 hp gains with the removal of the stock safety setting. This isn't a power mode, or a simple limiter. This was a factory setting to reduce power in the lower gears. Simply enough, how many people can maintain 200 RWHP on a street bike?

So to some a bone stock ZX14's with no work and a good rider, running 8.90's - 9.0's.... how much faster do they need to go with a street bike?

Guess if you need the flash to go faster yet... your just one of those guys.... like me haha... :)

Again just a few thoughts.

Most of Tim Nash's flash advantages are going to be felt on the street as opposed to at the track. Not only does his flash eliminate the top speed limiter on our Gen II's, but much more (and often) noticeable is how utterly smooth the bike will handle at lower rpms. Significantly less engine braking as is so often commented on by new Gen II buyers. More mid-range torque.

When we bought both Shala & my 09's, they had already been modded somewhat, in that the CAT's were removed and both bikes had Power Commander V's installed to correct fueling, and they both had Big Air kits installed. My bike was dyno tuned to match, supposedly by a pro, and all I could think about at set speeds, was how utterly annoying the bike was as it constantly surged as if hunting for something. Couldn't find a speed or RPM range between 2500 and 5000 that didn't surge. The good folks at Dyno Jet finally sent me a new PCV, and that took like 75-80 % of the surge out of it, but shortly after I went ahead and sent Tim my ECU for a flash. HOWLYMOLY, no comparison. My bike feels like it should have to begin with. But I have never rode a Gen II that was completely OEM to compare it to.

I'd say that the Nash Flash will be the best money you can feed the mod monkey, and especially true if you plan on dumping your CAT or doing any aftermarket pipe swaps etc. Besides, if you don't do the Flash, be prepared to hear the limiter kick in just when your hwy ride becomes exciting - right around 135 mph.

Get the Nash Flash, you won't regret it. Just make sure if you plan on getting a pipe or some other mod let him know your setup first so he can flash to that setup.

I just did the MBA 4into1 and love it

The mod monkey started to itch for the Tim Nash ECU re-flash. I just need to decide if I will remove the cat or just get the re-flash to get all the improvements mentioned above.

I just sent my ECU to Tim for the reflash. The bike I have was originally equipped with a PCV and the PCV Autotuner. I got those two boxes removed, but I noticed the Autotune hooks into the O2 sensor. I cannot find the stock connector for putting the O2 sensor back into the system. My question is do I need to O2 Sensor to send a signal to the modified ECU to make it all work right?

I just sent my ECU to Tim for the reflash. The bike I have was originally equipped with a PCV and the PCV Autotuner. I got those two boxes removed, but I noticed the Autotune hooks into the O2 sensor. I cannot find the stock connector for putting the O2 sensor back into the system. My question is do I need to O2 Sensor to send a signal to the modified ECU to make it all work right?

You should already have one of these http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ4...ing+Campaign&gclid=CMeutL6BsMUCFU0XHwod3kUASg
installed.

It comes with the PCV and simulates a stock O2 sensor input. There was no need to remove the PCV and AutoTune......you can just disable them in software. The PCV is still useful for things like a Quickshifter or an "economy" tune on top of the re-flash.

Hi i cant speak for the gen 2 vmax i have an 06 zx14 and i can say i notice a big diff with my reflash in the mid range it adjust ignition timing and fuel maps and opens the secondary butterflies and eliminates the speed limiter , i talked to the owner Sebastion told him what mods i had and he new my elevation by my phone #LOL his site is www.getcblasted.com i talked to him for awhile and told him what i was looking for in performance he is really knows his shit he use to tune formula 1 cars. Before i bought this mod i looked at Schnitz , Guhls and Brocks to. Still i went with his tune.You get what you pay for, Also you will no longer need a power commander If you do talk to him tell him Jim sent you oh he told me i will dyno in the 180s at the wheel so as soon as i get a chance i will return to the same dyno i got my base #s on.

If you want to sell the PCV for your Gen 2 let me know what you will take for it. I am looking for one. THanks Dannie

If you want to sell the PCV for your Gen 2 let me know what you will take for it. I am looking for one. THanks Dannie
I am thinking about selling it, trying to decide if I'll go with an air shifter after I get the new ECU on. I'll be making a decision by the end of next week.

Thanks everyone for the input, I talked with the man himself, Tim Nash. He said I don't really need to worry about the ECU getting a signal from the O2 sensor, so I'm just going to slap it in when I get it and see what happens.

torszula, it's my understanding that it voids the ECU warranty, but not the rest of the bike, but don't take my word for it as I'm just going off hearsay

I can't say about the warranty, but I do know that some people were worried about that, and so, went out and bought 2nd ECU's to have flashed, thereby keeping their original ECU in case of problems before warranty expiration. Because of that, I think, you can probably find some of those "extra" ECU's floating around places like Ebay for sale nowadays.

Back