EFI Questions/Polls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you interested in a EFI setup for your VMAX ?

• Yes... EFI with full engine ignition management.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • yes... EFI only (I'm good to go with the existing ignition)

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No... I'm perfectly happy with my VMAX the way it is.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To get an idea of how many VMAX owners are actually interested in the EFI conversion and to air questions about the setup. I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread. Anybody can post a question and along with the question we might want to poll that question. That way we could get a clear consensus as to which direction we should proceed with the project.
wow you and bird of prey dont f-around.im down for three or four months healing up from surgery and already you are weeks away from a test fire.impressive.nice to have resources isnt it.well i am definitely going to fi and turbo my second gen 1 with some gixxer 600 or 750 tb's ,a squirt 2 and i was gonna go with a bosch 4 channell ignitor and drive four cop's.but since ive dragged my feet.i think ill see how this haltech works out for you guys and maybe go that route considering cost and fitting components on my time.put me down for 1 for total engine management-i will definitely need boost retard /ign ctrl.and would also like to see a wide band for fuel management if possible.excellent work thus far cant wait to see some boost.i have a spare bike as well as a frame with a running engine i was going to start mock up of tb's.but i may do the snails first.what say you on sizing stock internals-2 t-15's maybe???havent found any that have oil and water.only oil but i have to keep looking. awesome project guys.cant wait to see it go 9's.later mike

very interesting!!! i just might bite at an EFI conversion...if priced at 2k. or so.

i would think that a properly designed system would give the max a modest gain in performance.
well worth 2k.

wow you and bird of prey dont f-around.im down for three or four months healing up from surgery and already you are weeks away from a test fire.impressive.nice to have resources isnt it.well i am definitely going to fi and turbo my second gen 1 with some gixxer 600 or 750 tb's ,a squirt 2 and i was gonna go with a bosch 4 channell ignitor and drive four cop's.but since ive dragged my feet.i think ill see how this haltech works out for you guys and maybe go that route considering cost and fitting components on my time.put me down for 1 for total engine management-i will definitely need boost retard /ign ctrl.and would also like to see a wide band for fuel management if possible.excellent work thus far cant wait to see some boost.i have a spare bike as well as a frame with a running engine i was going to start mock up of tb's.but i may do the snails first.what say you on sizing stock internals-2 t-15's maybe???havent found any that have oil and water.only oil but i have to keep looking. awesome project guys.cant wait to see it go 9's.later mike

The Haltech units can use wide or narrow band 02's as-is. Even has the capability to initally tune with the wideband.
I ran across a 4channel igniter from a guy across the pond that was very reasonably priced($60something IIRC). Wiring is simple and has short protection whereas most don't. So far, i've got one channel working good. Will try all 4 hopefully soon.

i see gary got a e-8 used for a discounted price-where did he find it?maybe at the tech forum?and those ignitors can be had for cheap no big investment there.im looking at a grand plus for the controller new with a harness right?

I'm the one that got the used E-8. Got it off Ebay. Came with new and used harness, LS-1 coils/connectors(prolly $150 there), new 3 Bar map sensor/connector(60-70 bucks there) and even the air temp/coolant temp connectors. Ended up having a minor problem(not reading correct temps w/ coolant and air temp sensors connected). Just sent it off to Haltech to fix. Should be a cheap/easy fix. Not a very common problem. Yeah, i believe the E8 w/ harness is around $1200 or so new. One can use the E-6 if not wanting to do sequential ignition, or ignition at all.

Nope. But, if you want multiple sparks, you can use MSD LS-2 coils and not have to use an igniter at all. The Haltech units will directly drive the LS-1/LS-2 coils. As was mentioned in another thread here, the LS-2 coils put out some SERIOUS spark!

Nope. But, if you want multiple sparks, you can use MSD LS-2 coils and not have to use an igniter at all. The Haltech units will directly drive the LS-1/LS-2 coils. As was mentioned in another thread here, the LS-2 coils put out some SERIOUS spark!

Wouldnt that make for a less complicated system???

It seems like that would be a better way to go:confused2:

Plus isnt multiple sparks better than one big one?:confused2:

Definately less complicated where wiring is concerned.
With the LS coils, you need brackets to mount them(they are roughly the size of the OEM coils), you need plug wires and boots as well, which adds to the expense. They use fairly short wires, so you'll need to mount the coils somwhere above the head. Might be able to use universal wires and mount the coils in other areas. Since the LS coils have built-in igniters, the settings in the Haltech are super simple.
Running COPs, you need to run an igniter(unless you find some COPs with built-in igniters. There are some, but i got tired of looking). The setting in the Haltech are much more complicated since the igniters you'll use are not "intelligent". Good thing is that i've already figured out the settings, so thats really a moot point. Just input the info and your done. No plug wires/boots. No worrying about mounting coils and such. Also a weight savings. The COP's used with the Haltech will offer a little better spark at higher revs(vs COPs used with the stk v-max ignition) due to the sequential firing(non wasted spark), which will allow a longer charge time for the coils.

Multiple sparks are good, but are only used at lower rpms. All the MSD setups revert to single spark at 5K or so IIRC. No benift and not enough time at the higher revs. IMO, the multiple sparks are not as benificial with EFI as it is with carbs. The multiple sparks help to complete the burn in the chamber. If the fuel is atomized well(as it is with EFI, especially with Sequential EFI), the mixture burns VERY efficentially.

I'll be running the LS 2's eventually and will set up with the 1's initially. So the brackets will be available for those coils.

I'm the one that got the used E-8. Got it off Ebay. Came with new and used harness, LS-1 coils/connectors(prolly $150 there), new 3 Bar map sensor/connector(60-70 bucks there) and even the air temp/coolant temp connectors. Ended up having a minor problem(not reading correct temps w/ coolant and air temp sensors connected). Just sent it off to Haltech to fix. Should be a cheap/easy fix. Not a very common problem. Yeah, i believe the E8 w/ harness is around $1200 or so new. One can use the E-6 if not wanting to do sequential ignition, or ignition at all.
do you know if the p-1000 is the same size as the e-8?and has the same capabilities as the e-8?it looks bigger no way to tell though.

thread rise from the graves, and get this efi going! LOL

Oh it is still going.

I just drove 3500 miles to pick up the bike from Mark, BoP, and have it at my shop.

I guess I am going to have to go it alone on the trigger. Got ahold of Gary, TurboVmax, about 2 weeks ago after 4 months of trying and we talked briefly yet he has yet to follow up with me even after repeated attempts to get a hold of him.

I have a pretty simple idea to get the trigger done yet....Gary has the flywheel that belongs to this bike, plus many other parts that need returned as well. Guess I am going to have to pull one off my spare parts bike.

Please don't give up on this project. I wish I could help, but am way out of my league. Good luck

Back