engine died in traffic this morning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtoruin

Reaction score
So this is not the first time it has happened but always under the same scenario. Sitting in traffic, bike overheats, I flip on the fan override switch and then the bike starts to idle like shit and if i don't keep the revs above 1500 or so it just cuts out completely and then is rough to start up again. Luckily this morning I was on a hill and quick thinking did a bump start without holding up any traffic.

Any ideas on what's going on? Is my battery getting weak or just overloaded? If I have the fan override switch on I have to set my idle adjuster to almost 2K to keep it running smooth, which doesn't help the overheating either. How bad is it to keep my idle at 2K for long periods? I ride in some pretty bad traffic.

Hi, test your charging system. There's a sticky post in the electrical section on how to troubleshoot.

+26,000,000,000,002 on charging.

Let me see a show of hands for those Vmax owners out there that have NOT experienced this 'syndrome' yet.

After I got my charging system to perform better by doing all the little 'tweaks' I could, I did the big battery box mod and got the bigger battery to help carry over for those times when I'd be stuck in heavy traffic where the bike can't often be revved, and also when the fan needed to run. Made a world of difference, after I had chased this problem of more'n two frustrating years. - Back then, that's when I first found this forum while searching the i-net for answers.

agreed. I had a similar problem. Last month, I bought a newer style r/r (i have an 88) and wired it directly to the battery. I also purchased an odyssey 680 as my old one wasn't holding a charge properly. I added a 30amp fuse to the positive wire as suggested in the sticky. I had also added a lower temp fan switch so the bike wouldn't get as hot before the fan kicks in. Since the r/r and battery change, everything has been perfect. The bike starts perfectly and strong no matter how hot. Also, no more stuttering or killing in traffic since the fan kicks in sooner. Bike runs cool and starter always works as it should.

Found this forum finding out about the "crimp fix". That's all it took and my charging system works as intended.

Look at the sticky at the top of the "how to" forum. Yours Truly spent an evening writing about this very issue, because IMO the "electrical troubleshooting flowchart" sucks. It's not very helpful and not Vmax-specific so I wrote a better one.

Chances are the voltage is going to shit due to 1) low RPMs, so little/no charging and 2) the fan being on constantly, which takes a lot of current.

The TCI wigs out if the voltage gets too low, intermittent or weak spark, which would cause the bike to run like poopoo or die altogether.

OK glad im not the only one with this issue. Thanks for the write-up Ra, will follow your advice as soon as I get a chance to do some work on her.

Back