Engine Oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybergrizzly

Reaction score
I've read several posts regarding the use of oils for the Vmax. Mostly, people recommend Shell Rotella T. That's fine. I live in Panama (Central America) and the climate is hot summer mostly unless it rains. I cannot remember if I saw the Rotella T oil at the store but I purchased the Castrol Edge with Syntec Power Technology (previously known as Castrol Syntec) which I understand is a fully synthetic motor oil. I also poured about 8 ounces of X1R when I did my oil & filter change on my '98 Vmax.

I don't ride the bike much to work as I literally live near my job, just about a 3 or 4 miles and some additional miles during weekends but not much. Still, love the bike. The only time I felt the clutch slip was after not using the bike for about 2 or 3 weeks due to heavy rains, but slippage went away after some use on the same day. The clutch is grabbing fine even during v-boost. And, I kinda think that getting into neutral has improved with the X1R.

Now, I don't see anywhere in the Castrol Edge that it is designed for motorcycle use or for use with wet clutches. So, is this oil going to eat my clutch discs as I read in one of the threads? If so, I would replace the oil immediately. Appreciate comments.

Cheers,

Attachments

• DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
If it is an Energy Conserving Oil then you should NOT use it, otherwise you should be fine.
Below is what in on Oil you DON'T want to use.

Attachments

• EnergyConservingOil.JPG
    EnergyConservingOil.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 16
Dam it. Although it does not state the exact words, they are pretty much similar. Seems I have to change my oil. Any idea of how much damage to the engine or the clutch discs has been made? It has been about 200 miles after the oil change.
:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Attachments

• DSC00085.jpg
    DSC00085.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 11
Do I need to replace the oil filter also or can I just leave it draining for a while and re-install it after draining all the bad oil ?

It should not cause any damage, just the potential for the clutch to slip. I use Mobile 1 15W50 with no problems. I believe the cutoff for energy conserving oils is 40W or higher on the second number. Anything with 30W or smaller is usually energy conserving which has additives (called friction modifiers) that reduce friction which reduce clutch grip. This applies to all oils, not just synthetic.

Back