Engine Paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstyn8

Reaction score
Has anyone ever painted their engine while it was still on the bike? I want to paint mine black but I don't want to take the bike all apart just to paint it. If I take off all my plastics i won't have to worry about messing up my paint or anything. Whats the best thing to strip away the old nasty paint and whats the best paint to use. I don't have a sandblaster so thats out of the question.
I was thinking about paint stripper but I don't know how that would work and sand paper would just take forever. any advice would be appreciated. thanks!!

I think there were a few posts about this already. Not sure if there is an easy or great solution.

I have one area on my bike that the paint has scratched right off - and I want to paint it too.

I am likely going to to remove the part
(as it's a cover) and paint it properly, striping, sanding, and using the right heat paint.

Realize that doesn't answer your question - btu have a quick search as it was discussed a few times. I'd be interested in seeing your results and process if you do try though.

you might be able to ride it down to the powdercoaters (or tow it there.)

If you tow it, you can strip off the exhaust (I can loan you some exhaust block off plugs) as well as a couple of other parts to get it better exposed. Then let them strip what they can and paint it back up.

Sean

I have been doing touch ups on my heads with engine enamel. Only had the bike fired up a handful of times since I did it but so far no problems. Picked up the paint from advance auto (they also sell ultra high temp exhaust paint which is on my list of things to do) and for prep I just used a fine wire brush to knock off any loose stuff. Forgot to mention the results are pretty good but taping off anything is important and the paint seems to wick up under tape pretty well and its a little bit of a pita to clean off afterwards.

Sean how much do you think that would run? I'm not wanting to spend all that much right now

I took off my faux cover side covers & carbs & taped every thing I did not want paint removed from & make sure you tape really good then I used a spray can of aircraft paint remover sprayed the motor down good with it & then used the high pressure nozzle on my water hose & washed all the old paint right off.

Not sure. I was charging $300 to strip and paint but I know I am going to be raising that soon since the paint and strip shop both are now charging more. Probably going to be paying in the $150 range for the strip work - maybe less if they can't get as much stripped.

Sean

I took off my faux cover side covers & carbs & taped every thing I did not want paint removed from & make sure you tape really good then I used a spray can of aircraft paint remover sprayed the motor down good with it & then used the high pressure nozzle on my water hose & washed all the old paint right off.

I will probably try this it doesn't sound too difficult and was along the line I was thinking....where did you get the stripper from?

I will probably try this it doesn't sound too difficult and was along the line I was thinking....where did you get the stripper from?
Walmart or autozone has the stripper its like 7 bucks a can walmart brand is stripease & I cant remember the brand at Auto zone but I have used them both & they both work good.

Back