Exhaust getting louder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
18 completely stock, I noticed my exhaust is getting louder. Everything is tight, no leaks. It just rolled 4,000 miles. It's this normal?? I only recently noticed this, because I have the Sena comms in my helmet, and I have the fm on for music and I usually can't hear the exhaust over it, but today I could hear it over my music with the volume all the way up. I'm not too worried about it I got a voodoo system on it's way
And on another note, I plan on getting the Nash flash, but wanted to double check if it would cause any long term damage to ride with the de-cat, and slip ons untill I get there re flash done. I live in SC, so I can ride year round. Planned on January for the reflash because it's usually crappy weather from January to April. I won't be going but maybe a few hundred miles a couple times a month, if it won't hurt it. Could I move the O2 sensor to the left pipes so it picks up the leaner cylinder??

I have the original X pipe & stock mufflers. The X pipe is a cat delete. I had a shop opened the stock muffler, increase the inner pipe exit diameter, weld it back up, then repack them. So my system was louder to begin with and defiantly more free flowing. That was about 8 years ago and since then it has become louder. In any muffler that has packing the packing material deteriorates with time and will not absorb as much sound and get louder. As far as the Nash flash I have been meaning to get it done since I modified the exhaust but never got around to it. 7,000 miles and she still run great. I did plug the AIS system and I have not modified the air box.

I have the original X pipe & stock mufflers. The X pipe is a cat delete. I had a shop opened the stock muffler, increase the inner pipe exit diameter, weld it back up, then repack them. So my system was louder to begin with and defiantly more free flowing. That was about 8 years ago and since then it has become louder. In any muffler that has packing the packing material deteriorates with time and will not absorb as much sound and get louder. As far as the Nash flash I have been meaning to get it done since I modified the exhaust but never got around to it. 7,000 miles and she still run great. I did plug the AIS system and I have not modified the air box.

I just put my voodoo system on today, man does it sound mean. I still have the ais hooked up, I'll get the plug kit when I get the ECU reflash......... Not sure how I'm gonna listen to my music, but I do like the sound of a nice exhaust system. See how it performs in the twisties up in the mountains near where I live tomorrow, suppose to be in the low 80s, been hitting triple digit temp. Here for 3 days, finally cooling off here in the South East. I think I'll see about eliminating the exup cables after the reflash also. I got them tied up for now.

Pulled the end caps off my voodoo, can't believe they come with a single lap of steel wool wrapping does fiberglass so any better?? And I'm guessing you have to poke it down in due to the fact the baffle doesn't come out. I like the sound, it's just really crackly. Gonna get the reflash sooner than I figured, you can really hear that lean surge with a louder exhaust, and it's really annoying. Sounds really good when engine braking above 3,000 rpm.

I replace the installed packing on all my mufflers with a 1/2” ceramic blanket type
Makes the sound deeper and more mellow
The ceramic will outlast the muffler. I have never needed to repack after using ceramic. Ever
IMHO
Rick Rash

I replace the installed packing on all my mufflers with a 1/2” ceramic blanket type
Makes the sound deeper and more mellow
The ceramic will outlast the muffler. I have never needed to repack after using ceramic. Ever
IMHO
Rick Rash

I used a 1" thick fiberglass mat packing, it does have a deeper tone, and it's not as crackly, and raspy. I like the sound allot better, and they are still loud, lol. When it comes time again, I'll use the ceramic. Where did you get the ceramic packing?? I watched your YouTube video, and you gave the measurements in one of the comments, I had to trim 1" off the mat and it fit perfectly.

Did you ever try the smaller end Caps from VooDoo? I have some ordered should be arriving tomorrow.

I personally have not. I do need to get another set though, as I want a set powder coated bright green. Post some pics before and after of your install.

And to correct my previous post ( lol a year and a half later) the baffle does come out, mine were a bit of a struggle, but they did come out.

I used a 1" thick fiberglass mat packing, it does have a deeper tone, and it's not as crackly, and raspy. I like the sound allot better, and they are still loud, lol. When it comes time again, I'll use the ceramic. Where did you get the ceramic packing?? I watched your YouTube video, and you gave the measurements in one of the comments, I had to trim 1" off the mat and it fit perfectly.
A LIL BIT OFF THE SUBJECT BUT HERE IT GOES ANYWAY..I WANTED MY BIKE TO SOUND LOUD SO I TOOK OUT THE CATALITIC OFF AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME!! BUT HERES THE BUTT!! AND NOW IT BOGGS OUT ON ME WHEN HIT THE THROTTLE HARD..SO I TOOK IT TO GET IT REFLASH AND NOW IT TURNS OFF ON ME WHILE RUDING IT AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AFTER IT TURNS OFF..CAN ANYBODY HELP ME HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS ISSUE?? PLEASE HELP ANYBODY??😬😬

A LIL BIT OFF THE SUBJECT BUT HERE IT GOES ANYWAY..I WANTED MY BIKE TO SOUND LOUD SO I TOOK OUT THE CATALITIC OFF AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME!! BUT HERES THE BUTT!! AND NOW IT BOGGS OUT ON ME WHEN HIT THE THROTTLE HARD..SO I TOOK IT TO GET IT REFLASH AND NOW IT TURNS OFF ON ME WHILE RUDING IT AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AFTER IT TURNS OFF..CAN ANYBODY HELP ME HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS ISSUE?? PLEASE HELP ANYBODY??😬😬
AND BY THE WAY I KEEP THE STOCK PIPES BECAUSE DONT WANT AN AFTERMARKET SHAUST..I FORGOT TO MENTION THIS ABOVE..

Who did the reflash?
A reputable shop in San Diego ca..that happen this past friday..the shop owner rode the bike around the block and NOTHING wrong . So after I took off it died 3 times on the freeway and I called him stranded and told me to bring it back..but I had no time, I agreed to take it back another day..so that's where I'm at..just trying to find out why its turning off while riding it with the check engine light on it turns off.

A reputable shop in San Diego ca..that happen this past friday..the shop owner rode the bike around the block and NOTHING wrong . So after I took off it died 3 times on the freeway and I called him stranded and told me to bring it back..but I had no time, I agreed to take it back another day..so that's where I'm at..just trying to find out why its turning off while riding it with the check engine light on it turns off.

Make sure no connectors came loose...two on the ecu, O2 sensor, battery positive/negative. Regarding the reflash, did the shop use something they came up with on their own or did they use someone's services? Lots of people are extremely satisfied with Gurued gear, if that turns out to be an issue.

Make sure no connectors came loose...two on the ecu, O2 sensor, battery positive/negative. Regarding the reflash, did the shop use something they came up with on their own or did they use someone's services? Lots of people are extremely satisfied with Gurued gear, if that turns out to be an issue.
No it was their own work..but if heard of GURUED I was just afraid with getting my computer lost or damage on the process of sending it..or NOT being satisfied with the work of GURUED..and not being able to deal with it in person..that's why I took it to a REPUTABLE shop 2 HOURS away drive from where I live..but I'll deal with it..the SHOP where I took it in said he'll figure it out some how..I was just trying to find out if any one had ran with this problem..that's ALL thanx 👍👍

I got insurance on my ecu when I shipped it, so if it got lost then the USPS was solely responsible of reimbursing me the cost of a new one. Nobody is more reputable, or recommended for flashing the Gen 2 ecu than gurued gear. Hopefully they get it fixed, and don't just dump the problem on you, saying they couldn't find anything, it's your problem now.

I got insurance on my ecu when I shipped it, so if it got lost then the USPS was solely responsible of reimbursing me the cost of a new one. Nobody is more reputable, or recommended for flashing the Gen 2 ecu than gurued gear. Hopefully they get it fixed, and don't just dump the problem on you, saying they couldn't find anything, it's your problem now.
Well I hope he/shop can figure it out what happen here..but thanx for your help..worst come to WORST I'll send out to GURUED..and pay again, for their services..👍

Without Doubt The NEW End Caps are a Life Saver! 2015_Vmax I too cruised past a Police Cruiser at lower speeds and got "the LOOK" like we know your hiding something HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Attachments

• 20210620_183829.mp4
    30.4 MB
  • 20210620_183014.mp4
    49.5 MB
Back